Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to show document changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMissMaya

Programmer
Nov 23, 2011
CA
I have a revision history index page I will use to formally note any revisions for the rest of the team. I'm curious as to what others do - do you also put the "track changes" on the actual changes or highilight them some other way?

We store documentation in subversion for working docs. TortoiseSVN has a diff feature that generates a 'tracked changes' version.

Either way, I don't recommend having "track changes" on. It makes things confusing. You can always use the compare feature in Word to generate your own diff between two versions of the same word document.

Josh Nankivel
pmStudent.com

call me stupid but I didn't realize Word had that compare feature. That is much better - thank you!

I also keep a revision history log in the front of the document. The revision history notes the sections and major changes and the date they were done. Sometimes the reason they were done. Here's a sample below.
Version 1.6 08/28/2008 Changes for consistency with PPM
Version 1.7 12/10/2008 Modify section 5.5 adding Production Database Changes
Version 2.0 2/9/2009 Modify for changes in procedures required by Dimensions (Starbase replacement) in Section 5.
Version 2.01 2/10/2009 Clarifications in verbiage for Section 5
Version 2.10 3/11/2009 Clarify section 5.2, add and change reviewers and approvers, add disclaimer for PLCS UAT Process
Version 3.0 7/23/2010 Changes in section 5.4 to reflect changes in Testing process. Changes to reflect ITSM rather than HEAT in section 5.5, changed CCR to RFC in many places, changed reviewers and approvers in Appendix D

====================================
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back