Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to share printer & dial up connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyontz

Technical User
Feb 2, 2002
US
I have 2 pc's. One is on Win98 and one on Win98SE. The Win98 SE is the fastest processor. I have one Epson 800 Ink Jet printer and one dial up Internet connection. What would be the best way to share these 2 items between these 2 computers?

First of all you must have 2 Nic's (network interface cards). Install them and get a Crossover cable (Ethernet cable.
a Hub or switch will work as well with 2 normal ethernet cables. This is a more expensive solution.

Install the protocol TCP/IP on both machines.
Enable internet connection sharing on your 98 SE machine.
Put both your machines in the same work group.
The modem must be installed and configured on the 98 SE machine.
Dail up and you have internet access on both machines.

To enable printer sharing you must install Printer and file sharing as a sevice inyour network properties.

The printer can be connected to any machine. Share the printer and install the printer drivers on the other machines as a network printer.

Whalla you are done and happy computing. Hope this Helps

Maruis
"I sleep at home not on my Job!"

Thanks for the info. I haven't done any work in networking PC's. I assist the systems manager with the macintosh network at work - but that's a little different. I'll try to digest this info and start working on it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back