Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How To Share Database ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desprits

Programmer
Feb 14, 2004
CA
Situation: I am in network. My computer is called "Priscilla". My database is called " GestionInternet.mdb " and it is in " c:\Program File\Gestion Internet Client".

My Purpose: to share the database" GestionInternet.mdb " so that my VB software can be to use in network.

What should I do !? Plz.

Assume you have installed your app on another computer.
Assume you connect to the DB using ODBC.

Set up an ODBC DSN on the 'other computer', whose database is your MDB file.
You specify the full path AS SEEN FROM THE OTHER MACHINE.
This may involve UNC file paths, or it may mean supplying a drive letter that represents your drive.

Although your db is on your C: drive, the other machine may map your C: drive as drive F: (as an example)

If your app always uses the same ODBC DSN name, then the app does not need changing when deployed elsewhere.

If you need to supply a path to the MDB file, then this needs to be a changeable preference/setting of your app.

I have to create a virtual drive with the name Y: and the road which is for this drive is: " c:\Program File\Gestion Internet Customer ".
So the road of my database is: Provider=MSDASQL.1; Persist Security Info=False; Extended Properties = " DSN=MS Access Database; DBQ=Y:\ClientInternet.mdb; DefaultDir=Y: \; DriverId=25; FIL=MS Access; MaxBufferSize=2048; PageTimeout=5; UID=admin; "

How can I to be able to acced in with the second computer?

You would need to map your share to the second computer as drive Y, or you can use a UNC path \\servername\...

Where servername is the name of your computer...

Good Luck

desprits...

You really need to read FAQ222-2244 as to why it is not a good idea to post duplicate threads. I have RF'ed your other thread.

And let me restate my answer in this thread.

On your first machine you have shared a folder. From your second machine you would have to map a drive as letter Y to the share on the first machine.

I hope that makes more sense.

Don't forget to pay special attention to item 15 in FAQ222-2244.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back