Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to share applications in Windows 2000 Prof? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthedark

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
I installed Microsoft Money as an administrator. How do I allow other Power Users to use Money, as well as other installed applications?

Right click on the application and go to PROPERTIES. Next go to the security tab. Now Click ADD and then find the POWER USERS and then click on it and click ADD then OK. Now the Power Users should be able to use it. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hello James - What determines whether or not a Security tab shows up in an applications property page? I just tried it with the MSDN Library icon on the desktop and there wasn't one.

Cheers, woggie

Installed CD writer as an admininstrator - local machine. The workstation is connected to a network. Now a user to the network also need access to the CD writer software. The network users when logs in gets an 'Acess error' message. How can the user get access?

Woggie:
Are you logged on as administrator? inorder to to what I suggested above you have to be logged on as Administrator or as someone in the administrator group. But it does work. Let me know if you are having issues. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I'm logged in as Administrator and I've yet to find an app icon, a quick-launch button, or a start menu entry whose right-click brings up a property page with a security tab. Is there a setting in Control Panel or something that reveals this?

Cheers, woggie

Lengthy way I found although its cheating I'm sure there's a better way of doing it. Log in as Admin, go to your c:\documents and Settings\administrator\Application data
copy the applications folders you want the users to be able to use to their c:\documents and Settings\%username%\application data folder.
Don't forget the dekstop icon needs to be copied as well.

If someone knows a quicker better way, please let me know, just found this out by playing with it.

Chadda

Woggie,

You are running FAT32 instead of NTFS correct? That may be why you dont have the security tab. If thats the case you have 1 of 2 options. Install the program under the users name. You can do that by running the setup file as administrator. OR you can do what chadda suggested. But the reason you do not have the security tab is you are running FAT32 (I am guessing you are) James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

That is the case, James. So without using NTFS, are none of the security advantages of 2000 available at all? I would like to share some of my folders with other machines running Win9x/ME but I would also like to hide/protect some sub-folders. Aside from splitting my disk into different partitions with different filesystems, am I out of luck? Some of those protected sub-folders I would like to share, but only if I personally am the one accessing them from the other machines. I know I could password-protect them, but, as I understand it, files on an NTFS volume are not readable by the other OS's. True?

Cheers, woggie

Actually, other OSes can read NTFS volumes if they are shared from another computer. The RPC service takes care of this. You just have to give the users rights to read the files on that machine.

cnthomp is correct. As for security on fat32, well you have folder security and that is all. NTFS is much better for file/folder sharing. You can, instead of password protecting, deny specific isers access via the SECURITY tab in properties. Is there any reason for you to use fat32? Can you convert to NTFS? Do you want to? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back