Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to share an IP for 40 PC in LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qilong

Technical User
Dec 9, 2001
MY
How to share an IP for 40 PCs. I do not wish to use proxy in this case. Is it somethings to do with the subnet mask, normally we are using 255.255.255.0 what is the subnet mask that I should use in this case.

gilong,

In order to share an IP, you need to have either a router, proxy software or Internet Connection Sharing enabled. Do you have any of these? How are the computers connected now and how are they assigned IP addresses?

The Old Man

hmmm, i try to not use the router and the proxy, because if using proxy, the internet will be very slow and the proxy server will need a higher requirements. So, I think i have to use the Internet Connection Sharing, issit the Internet Connection Sharing need any extra software? or it's inside the Microsoft Windows? Thanks very much, TheOldMan346

Windows has software for sharing an Internet connection.

Go to the control panel and then Add/Remove Programs. Click on the Add/Remove Windows Components and it should be under there.

Odd, I just looked on my XP box and I didn't see it but I know it's in 98SE for sure.

If I were you I would go with a router and some switches. I would think that would be your best bet. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

You should be able to share the connection through your router without a noticable degradation in performance. Even with 40 users. No matter how you configure this network, the router will be rewriting every packet header. If you use ICS as suggested, you will be rewriting the packets twice, once on the Win98 box and once on the router.

However, I'd really like to see you put a firewall between your router and your computers. Even if you are doing NAT, it isn't enough. Most of the DSL routers and Cable Modems are so easy to compromise that you might as well just open your network to the world.

pansophic

qilong,

I really would not recommend Internet Connection Sharing for 40 computers.

I asked how your computers were connected now. Is there a router or switch/hub or combination of devices? Is there an internet connection now?

If there is already a router and an internet connection, you may not need any other equipment. If you need to get a router, some types can be gotten for less than $100. The overhead for internet sharing is not substantial and the performance is very good.

The Old Man

the best solution for ur scenario is to use a switch and use a proxy.in this case u have to allocate static ip to the clients and use the servers ip as the gateway to the clients.if u want more security to the clients incase all r connected to the internet,u can use a router and enable dhcp settings in the clients.in this case the ip is allocated dynamically ,in either case the servers ip is the gateway to clients.subnet has to start from 0 and can go up to 254 in the later case-255.255.255.0-254.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back