Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup Telnet????

Status
Not open for further replies.

techciscouser

Technical User
Jan 17, 2004
US
Can somebody tell me how Telnet works...basically I am asking what do I need to do to setup Telnet connection to work from home.
I did try VNC but it seems very slow...as I am going to my work computer and then accessing Unix program which in turn has database in a separate Server....so the emulater takes time to refresh ..and hence slow.
And I thot of trying Telnet connection??...
CAn somebody advise me what do I need to do to setup?
Do I need Client / Server software.
Do I need a modem at both ends...ie work computer and home PC??
And how does it work ....Do I need to configure my router at work...if yes then how to configure??
Does it work with IP addressess??? do I need to open Ports...if yes which one???
Do I need to setup any passwords or logins???
And lastly how would I access it...with External IP of my company the way I used to do it with VNC??
Thanks

What about terminal services? You're in the Win2K server forum, so I assume you have it on your desktop machine. If not, WinXP Pro provides the same remote desktop connection functionality.

Basic Telnet doesn't require a client, but it isn't secure. You just need the telnet service running on the server. Go to Administrative Tools, Services, and start the telnet service. You can get there from the client machine by going to the command prompt and typing telnet "external ip address" (ex. 140.211.x.x). It will prompt you for credentials at that point. You will need to have the appropriate port open on the firewall, of course. The default is port 23. If you stick with Telnet, I would recommend looking at a secure version like the SSH offering from VanDyke Software.

Good Luck!

Thanks......very much!!!!
I would also like to setup Secure SSH connection...but I wanted to try with something very basicand then move forward. And I am concerned about the speed more than anything else.As with VNC it was so slo
As I said I am trying to connect to unix Server.How can I check the IP of that server ...as it boots with Unix stuff like starting kernel, loading this & that etc; alsohow can I run telnet service on the server side as it boot s with Unix only.
Normally when I have to connect any PC at work to that Unix Server with Tech7 application...I would just install Tech7 apps on the computer and make sure this computer is in the domain or a workgroup. And then I would open Tech7 application and where it asks for Telnet IP...I use the IP from that Unix server and save settings and I m done. Do I need to forward this IP on my work router...IS THAT CORRECT or do I need to do something else??? The same way I did with VNC....
Pls Advise....???????????????

I downloded Putty & opened the port on my router. When I try to use Puttywith my external IP ; it asks for Password..but no login.???
Anybody knows where can I set the login and password...????
Thanks....!!!

Is there a way I could the IP of my Unix Server....
thanks

Thanks to everybody for sharing your knowledge...!!!
Do I have to download Telnet Server on the server side machine for my Unix Server.
I have linksys router at work and trying to Telnet Unix Server from home. After forwarding the port 23 and the IP of the server.

It gives me an error of Network connection failed / Network unreachable / cannot connect to host. Any advise what am I missing in the router configs??

My work network has internal IP of 192.168.1.100 - 149
So my workstations at work are sharing this DHCP scope. The Unix Server has static IP of 192.168.1.90.
To access the appliaction on Unix Server ... I am accessing it with this IP 192.168.1.90 at work.
From home I use the external IP ...but no use...???
Any suggestions ????
Thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back