Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup security for new group???

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckdog

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
This is a w2k server site running in an active directory environment. We have several servers that are resources for email, file services, backup, etc. We are setting up sharepoint with the goal of allowing "outside" users (not currently part of our domain) to access our sharepoint sites. The security for these new users is to be maintained by active directory and so they will be added to the domain as users.

My questions are:
What is the best way to config these users in active directory?
How can I tighten up security so that these users only see the sharepoint server and the sql server they will be accessing? They will not be configured with a local email account or access to print services or any other resources on the network and I want them restricted to what they can see on the network. I know how to configured them to not have access to resources but I want them limited in terms of what they can see on the network.

Thanks in advance.

Luckdog,

Do you know anything about VLANs or subnetworks?
What I think you want here is a DMZ, a subnet that does not have the same network addresses as your LAN and is accessible for guest users like internet sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back