Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup Port Teaming on a 2900 or 3500 Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

horp

Technical User
Nov 8, 2001
GB
I use a 2900XL and a 3500XL Switch. Iam am trying to Team two ports together to work with the Compaq Servers I have installed on the network. I have teamed the network adapters on the servers, but am unsure of how to do it on the switch side
Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It is called Etherchannel, and it is actually very easy to setup.

If I wanted to "team" ports 1 and 2 together, I would enter these exact commands:

config t
int fa0/1
port group 1
int fa0/2
port group 1

That is it. Pretty easy huh? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two different kinds of people in this world: those
who finish what they start, and"

shnypr-small.gif

tech@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Mate, much appreciated it does sound relatively simple. However, I am really new to this stuff. Where is it that i type this info in?
That question just sounds really stupid, but hey...I'm not sure.

Thanks again

Hey bud, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Everyone of us had to figure it out for the first time at one point in our lives.

This is how you get into the switch:

You connect a console cable from the console port on the switch to the com port on your computer. (a console calbe shouldve come with the switch, it is a flat ethernet-looking cable) Open up hyperterminal and set it to communicate through com1, hyperterminal can be found in start, programs, accessories, communications. Hyperterminal will then ask you for a bunch of settings.
BITS PER SECOND = 9600
DATA BITS = 8
PARITY = NONE
STOP BITS = 1
FLOW CONTROL = NONE

Then it will connect to the switch. This is how you connect to any cisco device.

Once you are in the switch, type these exact commands to accomplish what you want.

enable
config t
int fa0/1
port group 1
int fa0/2
port group 1
end
wr mem
exit

That will take you in, accomplish what you want with ports 1 and 2, save the config, and exit the switch.

You MIGHT be asked for a password when you type enable. If you do, you need to find out who put it in there and then ask them what the password is. By default switches dont have passwords.

After you run through this for the first time, it will make sense and get much easier.

~~~~~~~~~~
shnypr-small.gif

tech@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for that Shnyr, I'll give that a go and see how I get on.

Thanks again

I thought i would ask (just in case). If I insert the console cable into the switch while still connceted to the rest of the network and continue the configuration, will it have any impact on the network.
Just a bit worried that i bring down the network.

Thanks

No, connecting the console cable wont do anything to your network at all.

However, I have experienced a case where rebooting the computer while consoled into the switch causes the switch to reboot as well. But it only happened with Dell computers. ~~~~~~~~~~
shnypr-small.gif

tech@shnypr.com
~~~~~~~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back