Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup logon script in 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyChung

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2001
CA
Hi:

i'm trying to setup a logon script in win2000 server.
i have created a OU and group policy and blocked
from other gruop to overide the policy. i
enabled the logon option under USER CONFIGURATION.

However, what's the easiest way to create a script?
i wish i can just run a batch file contains DOS commands.
what's the file ext. and how do i setup properly?

Any feedback is appreicated.

Thanks in advance!

tony

Create a batch file by using Notepad and save as with a *.bat or *.cmd extension. You can then enter dos commands such as net use. Then just browse for the batch file in the group policy menu. Just make sure that your clients have Win2k.

i have just tried this without success.
i suspect there's specific directory i need
to put file under. So i tried to put it
in default logon folder. But it still didn't
work out.

Any ideas?

When you save the batch file in notepad make sure you change the txt extension to all files. Otherwise the file will be logon.bat.txt. The file doesn't have to be in any particular location you just need to make sure it is mapped correctly in your group policy. In you group policy make sure that you use the User configuration tree to assign the logon script. If this still doesn't work i'll do some more investigation.

Yes, i have checked the setttings, they
are there.

And i presummed that reboot the machine won't
help, right?

Have you tried the Windows Script Host (WSH) - much easier and more flexible than batch files.

after you have created batch file on Windows 2000 server go head and save the batch file to sysvol directory. You should be able to run the script from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back