Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup exchange2000 for external mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henning

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
DE
Hi our company recently changed from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000. internal mail is just perfect but external mail won't work. my guess is theres a problem with the dns, but i really cant figure out how to set the MX record in dns. the problem is that our internal domain name is 'corp.moellenbeck.com' wheter our registered ISP-mail-domainname is ' how can i get exchange to work properly? i am grateful for every hint i get :)

Just had the same problem

In the Exchange System Manager, expand Recipients, then left click Recipient Policies. In the right pane, right-lcik default policies. Then click the e-mail addresses tab and then add a new address consisting of your real world domain.

If you don't get e-mail in at that point check the MX record. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

hi jamesblakey..
i just checked the recipients policies.. the correct real world adress shown up.. we used to have an exchange 5.5 system running and it was just fine. i migrated to win2K server and exchange2000 and now we cant get our mail from our ISP's server which just relays the mail to our exchange system (well it should relay it :(

any ideas, guys? help always welcome...

Your ISP should have the MX record.

MX for that domain is....

mail.de.uu.net

I don't think that is you :) Ask them to point it directly to you or to check the setting of the ip they forward to. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Exchange 2000 needs to have a DNS server local to the domain or else you are going to run into problem if memory serge correctly

Hung

hi xybertron,
we have no permanent connection to the net. we just use a dial in to our isps (which is uunet :) server. what i cant get in my mind: how can i put an mx record for mail.de.uu.net or into my dns domain space for corp.....com? i cant figure it out. or maybe i am on the wrong track?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back