Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Setup DNS/DHCP on win 2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

alejo20

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2003
US
i am trying to setup dns on a 2k server, i also want this server to take care of dchp, how would i go about doing this and also what should i do first dns or dhcp, i am new to this whole thing so i wanna make sure am doing it right.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Thank you GASMASK, but those links werent too clear as to what exactly i had to do. thank you u for ur help again.

As for DHCP create a Scope and call something like 'Internal' or what ever.

You want an address range (for example) of 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.254 if you want an IP setup like this.

You want to setup a range within this range (above) for Exclusion from the DHCP Pool, say 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.20 so that this IP range can be one of a fixed IP for a server and the DHCP doesn't lease out an IP to a Workstation that already belongs as a Fixed IP for a Server

Next you want to create scope options to be sent to Clients as follows (example);

Option Name Vendor Value Class
003 Router Standard 10.0.0.1 None
006 DNS Servers Standard 10.0.0.10 None
015 DNS Domain Name Standard domain.com None
044 WINS/NBNS Servers Standard 10.0.0.10 None
046 WINS/NBT Node Type Standard 0x8 None

Router being their Gateway machine (access to the internet)
DNS Server (if you have one) for FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) Resolution
DNS Domain name for domain, i.e. Server.Domain.com or Workstation1.Domain.com
WINS for Netbios name resolution, i.e. Server or Workstation1 (without 'Domain.com' suffix)

As far as DNS explanations are concerned GASMASKs posting from earlier should shed sufficent light;

"Technically, you can name your domain anything you want. But you should understand the distinction between internal and external namespaces. Your internal network will use your Win2k DNS to resolve hosts. If your Win2k can't resolve the host, it should forward the query to your ISP's DNS server.

If you have a registered internet domain name and a website, you could use the same name for your network. But your computers may have problems connecting to your external website. Hence, you could append a prefix unique to your organization followed by your domain name. Or you could use your registered name without the reserved top level domain by substituting an arbitrary abbreviation in its place.

For example. Your registered internet domain name is "company.com". For your internal network, you could use "home.company.com". Alternatively, you could use "company.local". Either of these would avoid name resolution conflicts when you access the internet from your intranet."

Nearly forgot you also want to go to DHCP>Right Click Server>Properties>DNS tab and specify 'Automatically Update DHCP Client Information in DNS'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back