Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup Active Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward999

Programmer
Dec 26, 2002
MY

Hi everyone, i am a newbie to Active directory. So is there any link or thread that i can refer before i start configuring AD.

thanks for any reply

edward

Have a read of some of the links on this site there’s allot of useful information that will help you decide how to design you AD.

One good tip is try too keep it simple, the more OU's and policies you use will make it harder too troubleshoot when things go wrong.

First of all, make a clean installation of windows server edition, like win2k svr or win 2k3 svr.
make all win updates, setup a static ip with subnet mask; for the dns ip you can use the same ip for the machine, and the machine has to have network connection, i mean the machine has to be connected on a switch or hub, place the installation windows cd then from the run dialog box type dcpromo, follow all the instructions.

Great job!!

Thanks for your information, my AD working fine now.

Edward

Active Directory requires DNS to install if you have a compliant server available you can use that or Windows will install one during the installation of Active Directory.

Hi thanks for your reply, nop i didn't install DNS for AD. Actually i'm now searching for DNS and DHCP guide.

Do you know any website or thread that i can refer?

Thanks for any reply.

Edward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back