Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to setup a PagePac 20 to Page from a CO line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibsonic

MIS
May 9, 2001
US
Ok. I am removing an old Merlin Plus phone system that is dying. In it's place we are going to just use 4 CO lines from the LEC all wired up some nice AT&T 4-line phones.

Currently there is a PagePac 20 interfaced to the Merlin Plus providing loudspeaker paging in a warehouse environment. I want to maintain the loudspeaker paging capability after I remove the Merlin Plus, preferrably by interfacing it with these 4-line phones. Here is a link to the phone I question. The AT&T 944 Model.
This unit has 2 Aux out ports on it to pass through lines 3 and 4, for a modem, fax, etc. I was hoping to tie in the paging system in on one of these two lines but not sure how. The paging and intercom features of this phone use line 1 and only page to like phones...or so they say.

I have not actually been to the location where this is going to happen yet, and I only have a few grainy pictures. I don't see any sort of PagePal or trunk adapters currently interfaced to the Merlin Plus. (BTW, I am not very experience with the Merlins).

Does anyone have any ideas how to interface the current LS paging to these phones? The local mgmt would rather not have to use a seperate paging system if at all possible.

The Merlin Plus has a page port that interfaces directly to the input of an amplifier. So there shouldn't be a PagePal there already.

You're using all 4 lines on the 944's, so you don't have a free line button to interface through a PagePal or UPAM to the amp.

The "intercom" function of the 944's is propiteary, and there's no external page output. I guess you could purchase an additional phone, take it apart and solder onto the speaker leads to run to the input of the amplifier. Whenever you "page" that extension, the audio would come out over the loudspeakers.

You could use a "Centrex Page Adapter" that has its own telephone number that answers an incoming call and connects to the paging system. You would page by accessing a free line, and calling that page line.

You might really want to rethink the 944's, and look at a Partner ACS to replace the Merlin Plus. That would give you better phones, easier installation, more features and expansion capability including voice mail availability.

I actually have a Partner ACS with a fairly new Partner mail and all the phones. I was trying to keep from deploying it right now b/c I have another spot I may need to go.

I have also made a few calls and I can get a refurbed Merlin Plus proc/chassis. The problem with the existing is some that it is basically dying. It won't answer half the time and when it does answer it drops the calls when put on hold or in mid conversation. We tried replacing the trunk card but this did not help. Avaya and the few BP's I've talked to says that replacing the proc, memory card, and back plane may resolve this. The chassis is $650 from Avaya Direct (classic). I've found others on the web for much less.

I am definately rethinking the 944's. We were just trying to simplify the setup for them at a very low cost. We wouldn't do anything right now if we didn't have too. This facility may not be around within a year. I may go ahead and put in my spare Partner system and then just pull it out when/if we close this warehouse down.

Does anyone have any Merlin Plus experience? If I swap the chassis, the memory card will also need to be changed out(common point of failure). I have never programmed a Merlin, let alone a 16 y/o Merlin Plus. I won't even tell which elementary school grade I was in 16 years ago. :) I don't need a lot of functionality other than to setup the extension, paging ability, call transfer, hold, and the system speed dial. From what I know about these systems they are programmed from the console phone like other Merlins and Partner systems. Avaya doesn't have the manuals available on their website either. Will the basic system work out of the box? Any help here would be great. I would like to keep the Avaya BP's outta this due to cost.

Thanks.

The manuals are definatly on the support site. Out of the box, the system will be square, all lines assigned to all phones, with immediate ring. The dial plan is fixed, like the Partner, so you don't have to worry about assigning page codes or anything else, it's just there. Programming is fairly easy, just not as intuitive as a Partner.

before you change out the system ,try replacing the station card, are you using 10 (1 station module ) or 20 stations (2 Station module ) its cheaper than replacing system , those problems can show up on a station card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back