Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to set up second server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

R00K

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
CA
I have a primary server (File server, Remote Access/VPN Server, Domain Controller(active Directory), and DNS Server) and a second server that currently serves no purpose.

I would like the second server to be a back up server in case something happens to the primamry server.

Both machines have MS Server 2003 Standard.

How do I set up the second server? Do I need to prepare the primary server for a second server?

We are a tiny company (3 ppl) who need the security and redundancy of multiple servers (2 at this point). The primary server will be remote and the seconday will be local.

Any help would be appreciated...I am learning as I go.

Thanks,

David

Do you know if your first server is the Domain Controller (DC) or not?

You don't have to prepare or configure the first server for the installation of the second server, unless you have special circumstances and as long as your DC is already configured properly, meaning AD (Active Directory) is. But when installing the second server, you can add it to the Domain of the first server, by simply selecting add this computer to a domain, when configuring the network settings during installation.

Hope this helps!

Zilantyas
Professional Information Technology Solutions

Zilantyas,

Thank you for your reply. The primary server is the DC. I'll add the server as you specified. Can I use the second server to duplicate the first for redundancy?

Thanks,

David

I added the secondary server as a "backup controller" under domain controllers folder in the active directory window of the primary server. Then I installed the domain controller role on the secondary server for an "existing domain". The two servers seems to be identical with regard to the DC role, now. Thank you.

What about the file server roll.

Thanks

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back