Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Set Scheduler Job to Failed from Chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alressler

Technical User
Feb 6, 2012
US
I have several chained events that run daily procedures, some twice a day, some once a day. On the job itself I have it set to raise events on failed and broken jobs, but I can't seem to get the job marked as failed.

I have the chain run through and while each item is independent of the other so the rule is set that when S1 completed then start S2 but I want at the end that if any of the programs failed, I want the scheduled job itself marked as failed so it will email me so I know to go fix a specifc issue.

Or is there a way to create an event schedule that ANY chain can call and again will tell us what the issue is?

The reason for the chains is that we have lots of jobs that run every day. The jobs need to run one after another but sometimes they don't always run in the same length of time, so to make sure they never run at the same time, we chain them. The chains work great, I'm just lost on how to handle error handling for the chains.

You may utilize Advanced Queuing and execute the real piece ow work only on receiving event from previous successfully completed job.
The same way you may implement problem notification etc.

Another (actually almost the same) idea is to use separate application for orchestrating your jobs. Or to use any existing [free] workflow engine. The drawback is that you'll get one more separate component in your system/

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back