Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to set reference in VB6 to DCOM server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsurrender

Programmer
Apr 27, 2001
DE
Hi,

I want to implement a client app, which through DCOM will access a server app, I already wrote. I am developing with VB6/Win98SE and the server runs Win2k.

No problems using COM (out-of-process) on the local (developer) machine.
But how can I set the reference in the VB6-IDE to the remote DCOM-server app?

I've registered on the server machine (Win2k) the server app using "serverapp.exe /regserver". I registered the server app on the client (developing) machine (Win98SE)using "clireg32 serverapp.vbr" and set the DCOM radio button and the server name properly.

But I cannot access that remote server app from within the VB6-IDE, on which I want to write the client app now.

Thanks for any help. Please try to!!!

Siegfried.

It seems you have done what is required to use DCOM.
Then what is the problem.Please write exactly what is happening.

If you are using clireg32, you shoud get the reference in VB references box. Have you included tlb while registering through clireg.

See the format bellow

Clireg32 xyz.vbr -t xyz.tlb -s 122.433.32.22 -ddcom
(^servers IP address)

Thanks a lot!

That really helped.

Well, I did a little mistake I always didn't notice. Now it works will a tiny Hello World App.

But when I start the bigger client/server app, all I get is Windows Error 0x800706D3.

It must have to deal with the server rights. But I thought I set everything to everyone is allowed to do anything.

BTW: The command line options are very valueble to me! Thanks.

Siegfried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back