Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to set domain for an Exchange 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfortin

MIS
Apr 15, 2005
US
Hello,

I'm very new to exchange in that I've never even used it before. I'm a linux System admin who has been running a pop3 server for my company for roughly a year now.

I have learned how to set up and maintain windows servers on my own, and so far things are working out well. However, the higher ups are sick of pop3, and want exchange. I've been asked to set up an exchange server and make it work for the entire company.

I currently have the following network structure:
1 Windows 2k Domain controller running ad, dns and file serving
1 Windows 2k3 member server replicating AD, dns, and file/print serving

I plan on buying another machine to make an exchange 2003 server on this network. My active directories domain name is called airscd.

People would like the exchange server to be called airssolutions.com.

Is it possible to make this exchange server have a different domain name than the domain it is part of?

Do I need to create a new domain in ad for this server?

Any and all help would be much appreciated.
thanks
-dfortin

You do not need to go through the effort of creating a new AD domain just for your exchange server. Simply install it as a member server in the current domain, and edit the default recipient policy to include whatever domain you want to receive mail for. Ensure that you have appropriate DNS A and MX records, and you're there.

By the way: it's worth investing in some books given your lack of basic knowledge on the subject. Gerber's "Mastering Exchange Server 2003" published by Sybex would probably be a good start. This is coming from a fellow linux guy turned windows/exchange admin. :)

Thanks much for the reply. That helps a lot.

I bought Microsft Exchange Server 2003 Distilled and it seems to be a good book, however I'll look into the one you're talking about.

thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back