Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to set client rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

klingklang1

Technical User
Feb 14, 2008
GB
Hi
Ive been asked to look at a school that is running windows 2000 server and xp clients.The problem is i need to find out where i set the rights so that each client has a standard desktop screen with all access to modify it and to deny the kids from deleting items so that they cant modify the enviroment .Can someone please advise.The server has active directory running in its most basic form nothing like ou's have beeen created etc
Thanks in advance

That's a huge topic, KK1. Scripts are all right if you know them well and will be the only one administering them, but Windows 2000 comes with a slew of built-in Group Policies Objects (GPOs) to help you achieve this. This is assuming, of course, that you are using Microsoft's Active Directory (AD) to manage the computers.

You can also create custom administrative templates to create custom policies in the GPOs (easier for others to administer), or buy and install a GUI program to manage all that, such as ScriptLogic's Desktop Authority.

You may want to consider upgrading the server's OS to Windows 2003, as its default file NTFS and registry permissions are much tighter than 2000, such that you don't really need to lock it down much more.

Also, the Software Restriction policies in W2K3 work really well. For example, student downloads "PasswordCrack.exe" and places it on their Home drive, or somehow hacks it into their local profile, maybe renaming it "notepad.exe". Software restriction policies will still prevent that executable from being run.

eric@stepneymarsh.com
Stepney Marsh Systems

klingklang1, you need to invest a little time and money into learning how to support the environment and learn about Group Policies and general Windows management.

Start yourself off with one of the "dummies" series books, I love those, they are great for giving you the basics very quickly. From there get yourself a good MS Press book on Windows 2000 management and use that as a reference.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back