Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to sell skill w/o education

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor136

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
US
Looking for advice / opinions. I am finishing up 22 years in the Military and have only a few hit-or-miss IT training. But, as a consequence of duties: I have learned to used MS OFFICE 97/00, program in Lotus Notes, MS ACCESS, HTML. I can whip out high class powerpoint like it's cool (and punch it out to the web). I have administered an NT Server in a small network, and pulled lan cable thru a building. I can tear down, troubleshoot, and reassemble a pc well enough to build my own and tweak it. In short I have gained a real series of general purpose skills without benifit of formal training. When I get out (in about 8 months) what is the best way to convince a potential employer that I am worth taking a chance on?

Thanks,
Rap raptor136@adelphia.net

It'll be tough, but not impossible. You will probably have to start in an entry level position...from that point just try to keep growing & learning.

Unfortunatly everyone and their brother know how to do break/fix on PC's. It's a dime a dozen position. Same with LAN cable, and to a lesser extent the NT Admin stuff.

Get into a Entry Level position at a smaller shop and try to learn more and more. Just having the experince on your resume will help a ton.

Good Luck!

I agree with heyitsthephoneguy.

You're going to have to trade slave wages for experience. From seeing your 22 years in, I assume you retired, so slave wages on top of retirement benefits will help some.

I'd find a small computer shop and sell two things to the owner or manager: those specific skills you already have and your military work ethic (trust me, in the private sectory they aren't legally allowed to work you the hours the military has).

If your military work day is anything like mine was in my short time with the US Army, you'll have more free time on your hands than you have ever been used to in your entire adult life -- make use of that extra time.

Once you're in, turn into the hardest-working data sponge your employer has ever seen. Learn everything they can teach you. Pester those with skills greater than yours to teach you more. Then go to the library or internet and find sources on the theory behind what they are doing, and learn that, too. Then if you need to, ask your co-workers to help you understand how the theory you're studying applies to what they're doing.

Raptor136,

Congrats with your military career! I was in the Navy for 4 yrs, took advantage of the GI Bill, and graduated with a CIS degree. I think you should look into using the GI Bill and going to school full or part time (depending on your schedule) and get into either a CIS or CS degree (whatever your interested in) It sounds like your interested in Computers, so I would look into it.

Yes, I agree with slepnir214's reply.

Some more advice: It wouldn't hurt to send your resumes to various companies out there to see where you stand, and to get interview experience. With the experience that you already have, you can land a entry-level position. But school is definetely important and with that GI bill, you can go anywhere you want to. Its never too late to get an education, no matter how old you are. Good luck! HTH

Thanks everyone. Never hurts to hear good advice, 'preciate the time. -- Rap raptor136@adelphia.net

a suggestion: try reading up on CISCO. CCNA certification is fairly inexpensive and highly looked upon by employers in the IT field.
sallio@coldbear.com

Dear Raptor,

You are looking entirely at the wrong perspective. Why are you looking at going towards low level entry jobs? Being in the army for such a long time should have given you sufficient man-management skills.

1. IT Human resources is a field you should be looking for. Your skills at running an office will be appreciated. Dont even bother trying to keep up with technology now.

2. Domain knowledge of the army will be a great strength to you. Look for companies which sell services to the army either software or hardware. Your knowledge of the workings will be highly appreciated.

goodluck!

/Srikanth
In the sweat of thy brow shall you eat your bread.
-Bible

Hi Raptor,

22 years career history with one employer - that's going to raise any employers eyebrows

Your "general" skills attained through duties are not that "general" if found in one person.

The army in this country I know (I'm not saying which country) has a habit of looking after its own - see if there's anyone cashiered recently with employment opportunities, or even not that recently

Interview experience is a must - should be available as part of demobbing program (?not sure, but if it isn't it should be)

As regards lack of certification, as a former employer ceritification is great if the applicant is going to fit in. Existing staff would be sent on training, rather than hiring a newbie with the skills-depending on timeframe & budget.

Best of luck
P

Advice advice advice eh...

Well, with 22 years of military expence you are going to find that you may or maynot have the same problems that others have in the market...

Your expence will lend quite well towards a support postion with the goverment; and will put you in GREAT standing with a manager with military experence.

How would I sell myself in your postion?

Start your resume out by listing your technical skills, not your military skills.

Talk about what you have done to make improvements, what technology you have worked with, and so on.

Also, cover any managment skills you have learned and how you made improvements there as well.

If you have college experence put that at the end.

Focus your resume on the field you want to get into and leave everything else off...

For example, my father had quite a distingused career in the Air Force... what does that experence mean to someone who went to Canada during Viet Nam? Nothing... but if you can tell them how you can improve their business or show how you improve things in the past then your talking.

Military experence can be great for your resume, if you sell it right. Get some books on making resumes and focus that thing on your technical skills and technical achivements.

You can include a small section on the military awards and commendations you recived, but keep it short and towards the end of the resume.

Then I would apply to postions up and down the scale in IS including managment positions.

If your a commissioned officer your not going to be happy as a low end IS lacky...

Don't be afraid to apply for the CIO postion, the worst they can do is toss your resume in the trash can and your out 34 cents. CJ
- If chickens could fly would they egg ugly people?

hello
my dad was in for 22 years US army ltc.ret i know your work ethics and an employer would be lucky to get you.
i have the same question but coming from another field i design and host sites by myself, part time(self taught) html/some java/javascripts/forms/dhtml/flash/photoshop etc.etc. run my own unix apache server with about 10 sub hosted domains. my day job pays 60k per year but thats not what i want to do. what kind of money is out there for an entry level person with this type of exper. and how would i sell myself. i wonder if i could do the work in the time frame that IT people do it at work, kind of like by lunch time they would tell me thank you but you just cant keep up with the pace and hand me my check.

michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back