Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to select records created between or on certain dates in Access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuCOng

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
GB
I'm using this code:

dim SQLstr, oRS, monthchecker, varNow
varNow = Date()

'CALCULATE A DATE THAT IS 6 MONTHS AGO
monthchecker = varNow - 183

set oRS = server.createObject("ADODB.Recordset")
SQLstr="SELECT s.service_name, COUNT(c.complaint_no) AS num_comps FROM complaints c, services s WHERE date_sub = #"&28/8/01&"# AND c.service_name = s.service_name AND s.service_type = '"&servicetype&"' GROUP BY s.service_name"

to try to select only records created (submitted) on the 28/8/01.

I want to extend the code to include:

WHERE date_sub BETWEEN #"&monthchecker&"# AND #"&varNow&"#

so that only records created (submitted) in the last 6 months are included in the recordset.
My table has records that fit this criteria (both created in the last 6 months and created on 28/8/01) but the recordset is empty.
Why? The code seems fine to me, I can't see the problem. Anyone able to help? Much appreciated.

The code seems ok to me but, i still dont know in witch table is "date_sub" maybe u need to put his table alias in place...
One more thing, if u are using ACCESS (as i see u are) u need to put " instead of ' to compare with an string value
the line ... s.service_type = '"&servicetype&"' GROUP BY
should be ... s.service_type = """&servicetype&""" GROUP BY
U need to replace every " in an string with "" to include one in...

Hope this helps and if u need more help please ask... ________

George, M

Hi

this should work:

WHERE date_sub=cDate(#" & varNow & "#)

shaddow - the code works fine without the date bit in it even with the ' in place. The dat_sub is from the compliants table but even with the c.date_sub alias the result is the same.

I'll try your method Nickman, thanks, but why does this work and not my method?

U need to put " not ' ________
George, M
email : shaddow11_ro@yahoo.com

shaddow - but even with ' all my other recordesets are generated fine. The only problem is when using dates, and then you have to use # anyway.

Neither of these solutions worked. The date clause is just ignored and a recorset of all data, regardless of date_sub, is generated. Nickman - the cDate() produces no error but it gives the same result as if I just used #&varNow&#.

Baffled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back