Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to select desired logon server in multi BDC network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenKass

Technical User
Sep 11, 2000
US
I know you can select a "preferred server" in Netware but I do not know how to do the same for a NT Workstation on a NT 4.0 network.
We have a PDC and several BDCs in our network. How can I select a specific logon server? I would like to know this mainly for testing reasons when someone has a logon problem.
If someone knows how or if you can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Allen

allen@allenkass.com

Only run net logon service on one controller...stop - turn off on other controllers... I do this when testing profiles

There is no way to specify which domain controller responds to client login requests. Stopping the Netlogon service on the other ones will disable those for all clients - probably not a good idea.

You can, however, find out easily which DC has authenticated a user by going to "Administrative Tools" and running "Windows NT Diagnostics". On the "Network" tab you'll see an entry for "Login Server" which identifies which domain controller authenticated the current user.

No preferred server in NT...

Thanks to nevgress and Voyager1 for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back