Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to select data for past 12 months from current date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehong

Programmer
Sep 22, 2003
US
Hi guys, I have a sample table like the following:
Unit, Year , SubUnit , Category , Jan_Cases Feb_Cases , March_Cases... Dec_Cases
I have data for multiple years. I need to select data based upon current month -12 months. For example if current month is March, then the resulting columns should show month range of March 2007 to March 2008. The sample columns should look like folowing:

Unit,SubUnit,Category,Mar_Cases,Apr_Cases,May_Cases....Mar_Cases

Really appreciate your help.

What version of SQL Server?

There are numerous FAQ's regarding pivoting data. I'd recommend doing it in whatever your reporting client may be.

[small]----signature below----[/small]
Majority rule don't work in mental institutions

My Crummy Web Page

Look up the PIVOT command in books online.

I've never used it.

My Crummy Web Page

I actually don't know that PIVOT will do what you want (I'm not sure how it handles the column names).

what you'll need is a query like this:

Code:
[COLOR=blue]declare[/color] @piv [COLOR=blue]table[/color] (dt [COLOR=#FF00FF]datetime[/color], [COLOR=blue]cost[/color] [COLOR=blue]smallmoney[/color])

[COLOR=blue]insert[/color] @piv
[COLOR=blue]select[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]getdate[/color](), 15
union all [COLOR=blue]select[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]getdate[/color](), 50
union all [COLOR=blue]select[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]getdate[/color]() - 30, 100
union all [COLOR=blue]select[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]getdate[/color]() - 60, 32

[COLOR=blue]select[/color] sum([COLOR=blue]case[/color] [COLOR=blue]when[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]month[/color](dt) = 1 [COLOR=blue]then[/color] [COLOR=blue]cost[/color] [COLOR=blue]else[/color] 0 [COLOR=blue]end[/color]) [COLOR=blue]as[/color] JanCost
	, sum([COLOR=blue]case[/color] [COLOR=blue]when[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]month[/color](dt) = 2 [COLOR=blue]then[/color] [COLOR=blue]cost[/color] [COLOR=blue]else[/color] 0 [COLOR=blue]end[/color]) [COLOR=blue]as[/color] FebCost
	, sum([COLOR=blue]case[/color] [COLOR=blue]when[/color] [COLOR=#FF00FF]month[/color](dt) = 3 [COLOR=blue]then[/color] [COLOR=blue]cost[/color] [COLOR=blue]else[/color] 0 [COLOR=blue]end[/color]) [COLOR=blue]as[/color] MarCost
[COLOR=blue]from[/color] @piv

However, since you need it for a dynamic range, you'd need to use Dynamic SQL to build and execute the query. I know I've demonstrated that to you before.

My Crummy Web Page

Alex, thanks for sample. I am thinking about using pivot logic. I have searched all around but could'nt find any sample for my situation. I am going to create a new post for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back