Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Secure a stand alone XP Desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfoldesi

MIS
May 25, 2000
US
Hello.

I need to secure some Windowws XP Pro desktops that are not part of a domain. I would like to prevent users from changes the desktop wallpaper and adding or removing short cuts from the desk top. How is this possible in a non active Directory environment? All users of the computer use a single local User Account.

Thanks for the help.

Lfoldesi

Got Start -> Run and type in gpedit.msc You'll be able to disable everything you need for the user in question from there.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thank You,

Will the settings in the User Configuration Settings apply to all the Administrator account also? Don't want to lock myself out of things.

Thanks, Lfoldesi

They will apply to the current user only.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back