Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to schedule a DTS Package (from SQL2000) in SQL2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptmcs

Technical User
Oct 1, 2004
GB
Hi,

We have a DTS package from SQL2000 which needs to be run on a SQL2005 server (64-bit).

We will move the DTS package to 2005(SSIS), but for now simply want to run and schedule as a 2000 DTS Package.

I have managed to load in the DTS package into the new SQL2005 server from my local PC client tools and can run the DTS package manually ok
from my installation of 2005 tools on my local PC.

But, I am having difficulty finding out how to schedule the DTS package and run it on the 64-bit server.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to schedule and run the package? Some research has implied we have to create an SSIS package to call the 2000DTS Package but that seems excessive - surely we should be able to run it in a straightforward manner?

Thanks....

It would be best to convert this dts to a SQL2005 Integration Services Package. You can do this with the bids wizard in most cases.

Alternatively you can schedule a dts package within an SSIS package as you have read. (Although this seems excessive this is because the dts engine had been removed.)

If you continue to use legacy components you may wish to look at thw follwing which will allow you to edit them and use the old engine etc:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components

The SQL Server Backward Compatibility package includes the latest versions of Data Transformation Services 2000 runtime (DTS), SQL Distributed Management Objects (SQL-DMO), Decision Support Objects (DSO), and SQL Virtual Device Interface (SQLVDI). These versions have been updated for compatibility with SQL Server 2005 and include all fixes shipped through SQL Server 2000 SP4.

We've already downloaded the backwards compatibility packages and tested the DTS package on a client machine.

We will eventually move it to SSIS - but as stated - for now we just want to simply tranfer the DTS package from 2000 to 2005 - not change it - and just run it and schedule it.

If anyone can give some clear advice - or point to a website it would be excellent.

In that case you will need to create an SSIS package with the legacy component inside.

I guess if you really want you could execute it using dtsrun within a job step. The best place to find out how to do any of the above is just to check (BOL) Books online. As for websites, if you google it there are a few step by step guides as well.

Right, finally had a bit of time to revisit this.
Thanks for the ideas - have found a working solution.

Had installed the DTS support for 2005 (as above),
DTS package loaded up ok into the DTS Designer in the
Management/Legacy section of 2005 Management Studio.

Scheduling was done by - bizarrely - running DTSRUNUI from the command prompt,
clicking the advanced button and generating a command line with all the appropriate parameters.

Then creating a job which runs the command line generated in the previous job.

This has worked nicely without having to touch SSIS at all, which I haven't got time to learn at this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back