Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to scan UPC barcodes and save them in the text file on the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

larwoman

Programmer
Feb 4, 2010
US

I need to create a process that would scan a bunch of UPC barcodes using handheld gun, convert them to strings of numbers, place them into a text file one UPC per line, save text file on a server.

I was not given a handheld yet so I don't know how handheld gun's hardware works.

Can somebody point me in the right direction, some articles/reading / ideas how I can approach this task?

Most barcode scanners that I have used are plug and play and when you scan the barcodes, the data appears where the cursor resides; kind of like a keyboard. When you scan an item, it appears on a line and generally there is a return to the next line so that you can scan more data.

I believe once you scan in all of your data, you can just save the text file and then place it on your server. It is really as simple as that.

Some sites that show how a scanner works:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back