Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Run Stored Procedure before reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

krist

Programmer
May 30, 2001
ID
Hi again,
I have a need to run some process (MSSQL store procedure) to calculate and summarize data from table_A and table_B to save the result into table_C.
Then my Crystal RPT will reports based on table_C.

How can I do that with Crystal Report 8 ??
(suppose I only use Crystal and Not integrating it with any other application)

Thanks for usual help,
Krist.

A Stored Procedure functions just like any table when using it within Crystal Reports. Use the Stored Procedure as a table. Use Prompts for the data and then Record Selection for attaching the information to the stored procedure. Let me give you an example.

I had a stored procedure called CaseHistory which required a case number. I would create a parameter called CaseNumber, and would put in the Record Selection Criteria (provided parameter in Stored Procedure was called SPCaseNumber) SPCaseNumber = ?CaseNumber

Hope This helps.

Hi,

Does it mean that, the only way to use Stored Procedured in Crystal Rpt is when the Stored Procedure Returns ResultSet to be used as datasource to report (like a table) ???

What if the process is much_more_complicated than just a query, where I have multiple query and calculations (must be done on the fly), then save to another table.

Like I said :
Stored Procedure process (table_A+table_B) ==> table_C
Then my RPT simply use table_C as datasource.

Can I invoke that kind of Stored Procedure in Crystal, before reporting with table_C ??

Thanks again,
Krist

Try writing the stored procedure that does the calculations to return a True\False\Error value and run it in the Report Header. Depending on the result of that procedure will determine if you run a subreport that runs the other stored procedure or displays a message in the main report of the error in the first procedure.

You can do all of the calculations and queries that you want in the stored procedure, just make sure you end it with a SELECT statement that generates the resultset for the Crystal Report.

Table C could be a temporary table that you create in the stored procedure and then populate through various statements. The stored procedure should then end up doing a SELECT * FROM #TABLEC. Brian J. Alves
Terrier Consulting, Inc.
Email: brian.alves@worldnet.att.net
VB / Crystal / SQLServer
(Currently available for consulting in Chicago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back