Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to run internet explorer 11 in kiosk mode while still having a forward and backwards buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beilstwh

Programmer
Jul 13, 2005
US
I have the IE browser running on a 30 inch touchscreen monitor in Kiosk mode in our stores. It is unreasonable to force our customers to remember to use the ALT key combinations to go forward an backwards in the browser. Especially since there is no keyboard available. Does anyone know how to NOT have the URL windows, but maintain the navigation buttons while in Kiosk mode. As far as I can tell Microsoft did a really bad job in setting up the Kiosk mode. What ever the method selected, it is a requirement that the users can't get out of the browser window. I tried to ask this question in the micrososft forums but It tried to force me to sign up for outlook so I immediately closed my account (of course)

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

In Kiosk mode, you have NO toolbars and I have no desire to modify the hundreds of web pages to add a back/forward button into the code.

Bill
New York State, USA

Can you make use of any of the mentioned Registry amendments mentioned in this article? Perhaps you can set up an IE to suite your needs without using Kiosk Mode? The article also gives you options in Group Policy concerning IE, perhaps there is something you can do via that?

[Tip] Enable Full Restricted Mode in Internet Explorer Web Browser

Thank you, I will check them out. Just a small complaint. With Microsoft's push to use touchscreens why would they not setup kiosk mode correctly to give the options for directional buttons in the upper left and right hand corners. Without them it is fairly useless.

Bill
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back