Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to run fp 2.6 on newest computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobilman

Programmer
Feb 2, 2005
US
Hi All
I've just started back using FoxPro after a long hiatius, 10 years. Back then I was using fp 2.6 on a 486.
Now I have a Dell Optiplex GX280, and I am having all kinds of trouble trying to run the application generator. The application generator eventually gives up and reports a general failure and won't generate an application.
Short of trying to find an old 486 to run fp 2.6 on it, is there any way I can run fp 2.6 on the newer computers?
Thanks
Nobilman

Thanks Guys.
I solved the I/O problem I was haveing with the newer Dell running FP 2.6
When the system administrator set up my computer, he inadvertently did not include a D: drive. All I have is one big C: drive. I didn't think this would be a problem, but I guess it was as my old programs were looking for a D: drive and couldn't find it. As a result, fp 2.6m gave an I/O error. I guess this was the problem with the code generator also.
While looking for some files on my computer, I noticed that the system had labeled the CD drive the D: drive. I wondered if this might be the problem since I didn't have any thing in the CD drive. Once I put a blank CD in the CD drive, everything cleared up. My foxpro 2.6 programs work fine and the code generator just humms along. Why would putting a blank CD in the CD drive cause such a problem to be cleared up?
Nobilman

Nobilman,
Actually there was a MS KB article about this problem, but it was purged a couple years ago. You can actually "fix" the problem with a program FixDrive{/b] from
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back