Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to run AVG as a service 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hack12

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2003
US
Hi, I am running windows XP Pro in a Domain and I have installed AVG however I am not quite sure how to set it up. I want it to run in the background even when no one is logged in so it keeps scanning the machines. Is there any way to do that? For eg: run it like a system service and schedule it to run overnight and update overnight automatically. At the moment whenever someone logs in it starts running and updating however I want it to run as a system service. Thanks for helping.

Forgot to mention what version of AVG I am running. It is AVG 7.1. Not sure if it is file server version or the regular version. Is there any way to tell that as well?

To do this on a single machine, open up the AVG Test Center, double-click Scheduled Tasks, then click the New Schedule button in the "Scheduled Tasks" window;

On the first tab (Task), there is an option for "Schedule for all users"... make sure this is selected. This will allow the task to run regardless of whether someone is logged in, or the computer is at the login screen. It will also allow you to view the test results regardless of who you are logged in as.

Hi guitarzan,

Thanks for your reply. However in my AVG scheduled task I don't have that option.

There are 2 entries in scheduled tasks under name

1. Test plan in basic mode

2. Update plan in basic mode

When in click on Edit Schedule button at the bottom with Test plan in basic mode highlighted it doesn't have that option. Is there an advanced mode in AVG. Thanks for your help.

Test plan in basic mode" and "Update plan in basic mode" are two generic schedules that AVG creates when it is installed. To set up a schedule the way you want, you have to create a brand new one.

Next to the "Edit Schedule" button that you clicked, you should see a "New Schedule" button... that's the one you want to click.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back