Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to run an executable at a certain time

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelleynes

Programmer
Dec 28, 2001
US
I need help on how to run an executable at a certain time without using a scheduler, basically, i have a small executable that i need to run when it some point it reach my criteria to just pop up with just a simple message, kind of like a reminder in OUTLOOK.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

You're missing some important detail in your post.

What is the criteria?

The easiest way - is to use the task scheduler.
Why you don't want to use that I don't know.

If really don't want to use it, then, you'll have to
use the Windows API and go a lot deeper into the OS.

You could leave an instance of VFP running in the background, but that uses a lot of resources even if
you limit the clock cycles it receives.

Darrell 'We all must do the hard bits so when we get bit we know where to bite' :)

I agree. The Windows Task Scheduler is the best way to run something at a particular time of day, even on certain days of the week.
If you are using Win 2000/XP/NT4, it's easy to set up and takes up minimal resources from the user. I have 3 scheduled tasks that run every day on my Win2k computer, and I never even know that they're running other than the program pops up on my taskbar.

-Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back