Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to run a session only when there is change in data

Status
Not open for further replies.

cognav

Programmer
Jun 27, 2003
US
Hi All,
Please help me with this.
I have to load the data from DB2 to SQL Server using Informatica Power center.
Is there any way that we can run the session only
when there is change in the source table data.
Infact I am not using any transformations. I just have to
replicate the data from one database to another database.

Please reply whoever has a clue.

Thanks in advance.
regards,
Naveen

A change in source data ?

What sort of change should fire off the session? Any change?
New records in the source?

You should look into 'event based scheduling' or 'real-time datawarehousing'

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hi Blom,

The change can be a insertion of new record or update of
an existing record.
Can it be done using informatica.

Thanks in advance,
Naveen

You can copy records which are newly inserted records or updated records. There are two ways to do this. One is TYPE-1, and the other one is TYPE-2.

Type1 is inserting new records only and updating old records. Here there is no old records which have updated.

But in Type2 you can do inserting new records and update the updated records, besided you can have old record also. This two types you can do only with INFORMATICA.

I hope you get some idea.

Hi cognav,

Informatica does support loading only changed records.

For this u can have two flows in ur mapping. One which does an update based on some primary key of the table and another flow which does an insert.

Update transformation can be used to update existing records.

tkrish

avswamy,tkrish,

Your answers are correct for a different question than Cognav states. He wants the triggering done from within the source, so a session will only run when there is a mutation in the source data. This is covered to some extend I think by the 'real-time' datawarehousing capabilities of Powercenter.
Very few companies have implemented this, cause in many cases one wishes to update the datawarehouse in the nightly hours and no constant activity during the day with changes in the transactional system triggering sessions each and every time.
So Cognav, once again do some searching on the real-time capabilities of Informatica's Powercenter.....

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hi,

If you have timestamp column (transaction timestamp) on your source table, you could use this as parameter in session to filter only rows which got updated / inserted. Once the session is executed, generete parameter (i.e. max(timstamp) using that column). Hope this helps.

--Velu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back