Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to run a dos base application from the web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike2020

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
US

Hi,

I want to launch the dos base Chi-Square Test application from the web application. How can I do that?

Thanks....

Mike

You mean you want to execute a dos procedure so that it executes on the server, or you have a procedure (a .bat file for example) that you want to launch on the clients machine?

If it's the former, read faq855-5802. If it's the latter, you'll have to have a hyperlink to the file so that the user can download it and then run it.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Thanks ca8msm,

however, some how that it doesn't work in either way. I don't know is that because it is a dos base appplication, so it can't run on the web.

Mike

Oh no, I want to use in ASP.NET, but I tested it, and it doesn't work. Do you know any other way?

cas8msm said:
You mean you want to execute a dos procedure so that it executes on the server, or you have a procedure (a .bat file for example) that you want to launch on the clients machine?
You didn't really answer his question - which way do you expect it to work?

And if you've tried to make it work, can you post some sample code?

Chip H.

When user press to Go button, it will run this code, and I expect it will start lauching the dos base Apphire.exe application. But when I click on the Go button, it seem like loading the file, and then stop and nothing happen, the Apphire application didn't launch.

I still look around at Microsoft website to find out what happen, what went wrong. But found nothing yet.

Thanks
========================================

Private Sub Go_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
Dim myProcess As System.Diagnostics.Process = New System.Diagnostics.Process
myProcess.StartInfo.CreateNoWindow = False
myProcess.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = True
myProcess.StartInfo.FileName = "c:\inetpub\ myProcess.Start()
End Sub

Sorry, miss you question, I want to run on the server.

Mike

In that case, try copying the example that I gave in my first post (the FAQ) and make sure the ASPNET account has access to the directory where the file resides.

Hi,

I followed your way, however, each time I click on button to launch the application, it just give me a been sound, and stop, then I tried on the simple notepad.exe, and it doesn't work neither. So I think there must be something missing/wrong with it. I already the right to read and execute for the folder that has the application.

Thanks

So I think there must be something missing/wrong with it
Nope, there's nothing wrong with that example. Try running it again and have a look in Windows Task Manager and you will see that the process (notepad.exe for example) is running under the ASPNET account.

Does the Appphire.exe program have a user interface, or does it operate solely on command-line arguments and the stdout file?

Because if you're expecting your web user to see a 80x24 dos-based user interface, that's not going to happen.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back