Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to rsh onto unix from windows 2003??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAnderton

Technical User
Feb 22, 2006
GB
Hi all, I need to remote shell on to aix 5.2 to run a backup script from a windows 2003 server. they are not on the aame domains. Any ideas??

1. The script is on the aix box ?
yes/no

yes:

2. Why dont you just use crontab ?

please give more info ....

Domain shouldn't matter.

I'm going to make assumptions about your request.
a) you are authorized to connect as the intended user.
b) the rsh services are running on the target system and not disabled for security purposes.
c) you can already connect to the system, but want to do it non-interactively, ie: you don't want to have to enter a password.

let's say you are connecting as the user bakadm.

First, gather some info. Login to the AIX box from the w2k3 server as bakadm. Then type who am i , you should get somethin like:
bakadm pts/1 Feb 22 19:14 (w2k3-backupserver.my.domain.com)

take note of the info betweent the parans.

in the bakadm home dir on the aix server create a file called .rlogin and put the following line in it:
w2k3-backupserver.my.domain.com bakadm

then change the permissions on the file:
chmod 600 .rlogin

then go back the w2k3 box and:
rsh -l bakadm aix_servername date
and you should get back the date of the aix_server
then just sub date with the command you need to execute to start the backup:
rsh -l bakadm aix_servername "dsmc -i"

anyway, the details are up to you to provide.

-rs

To JorGeVal: Cronatb replies on time, whilst we need to be sure the database is down when we run the backup scripts from the Windows 2003 server.

To RuphSkunk
I found a way to utilise the existing Netbackup Scripts which create snaps on a NAS box, but I just couldn't get the rsh to work and couldn't beleive it was so difficult. I had not ryoed in the full server.local. address in the rhosts file . Thanks for your help , very informative. I will try to implment this as I want to get it to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back