Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to return Clarion FC4500

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer010

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2001
US
Is there a way to return an EMC CLarion FC4500 to default settings? If so, how?

Thanks,

PCS

What exactly do you want to "reset" to defaults? In my experience with CLARiiON devices they are highly configurable.

1 or 2 Storage processors set with hopefully current microcode and PROM rev. levels.

SP cache is "not" configured by default becuase it is a function of how you inteded to use it. More write cache if using a write intensive application and especially with RAID-5. So how much for write and read is up to you and who ever set it up for you in the first place (I didn't). I have found that alot of "resellers" don't really know too much about CLARiiONs. Just enough to get sign-off on the Professional Service engagement and they're out of there.

There are rules (requirements) that need to be followed in order to configure the write cache( BBU (SPS), cache vault integrity, mirrored cache, dual SP...)

The disks are bound into LUNs (Logical Unit Numbers) and each LUN can be configured for a different RAID level with a variety of options (SPA or SPB, write cache enabled, read cache enabled, both or none)

If striped, stripe element size, throttle values etc...

All of these things make up the CLARiiON configuration so I'm not familiar with a reset to defualt which could wipe-out your custom config and wipe-out your data.

But then, that's just my opinion I could be wrong.....I haven't played with a 4500 ...yet

So what do you realy want to do? I'll get back to see how you are doing.

dreamer010,

Did you ever find a solution? I have a similiar problem with a Clariion FC4700. Tried to initialize the array, but would not allow me to create the PSM LUN. We just got this system used, so would like to have it reset to 'factory defaults' - so that I can start configuring RAID groups, etc. from scratch. Any ideas would be much appreciated. DGii? Thanks.

SFB

Some of the rules for configuring the PSM drive taken from an FC4700 manual:

PSM LUN Configuration Rules
Before beginning the initialization process, please note the following
PSM LUN configuration rules.
• The PSM LUN must be a redundant RAID type completely
housed in the DPE chassis.
• A RAID 1 or RAID 5 PSM LUN must have at least one drive
which is not a database (DB) drive.
• A RAID 3 PSM LUN must have 5 or 9 drives, at least one of which
is not a database drive.
• A 4-drive RAID 1/0 PSM LUN can use only one database drive
when using Base Software 8.41.04.
• A 4-drive RAID 1/0 PSM LUN can use up to two database drives
when using Base Software 8.41.09 or higher.
Database (DB) drives are the first three drives in the DPE chassis (drives 0-2).
What These Configuration Rules Disallow
The PSM LUN configuration rules disallow a:
• RAID 0 PSM LUN.
• RAID 1 PSM LUN of drives 0 and 1.
• RAID 1 PSM LUN of drives 1 and 2.
• RAID 1 PSM LUN of drives 0 and 2.
• 3-drive RAID 3 PSM LUN of drives 0 through 2.
• 3-drive RAID 5 PSM LUN of drives 0 through 2.
• 4-drive RAID 1/0 PSM LUN where 2 or 3 of the drives are DB
drives, Base Software 8.41.04.
• 4-drive RAID 1/0 PSM LUN where all 3 of the DB drives are
used, Base Software 8.41.09 or higher.

Here's the Answer you've been looking for...

You'll need to verify a few things first....

One you'll need a serial cable to do the re-initialization (mainly to setup the IP addy)...

And you'll need your existing management station/software.

To Reset a CLARiiON FC4500/FC4700, you have to destroy the existing PSM LUN... to do this, you just double fault the Raid Group the PSM LUN exists on. (usually disks 0_0 - 0_5) i.e. the first 5 disks in the DPE.

To do this, verify that all data is backed up off the array.

Shut down the Array.

Pull out Drive 0 & Drive 1 & Drive 2 (ok, triple fault works too ;)

Turn the array On.

Wait approx 5-10min

Turn the array off.

Put the drive back in.

Turn the array On.

Wait 5-10min.

-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
This part differs for FC4500/FC4700
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

For FC4700:

Create a Dial-Up network connection on COM1 of your managment station. Connect using username:clariion password:clariion!

Using your IE browser (after connected via serial) open
Enter your Network IP, Subnet, Gateway etc.

(it'll reboot, wait 5-10min)

go back to
Initial Security (i.e. create admin account)

(you must repeat this process for SPB)

disconnect the serial network connection..

Use your management station / management software to point to the new IP addy you assigned to SPA.

Now configure all new Raid Groups, and bind your LUNS.. Create storage groups, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back