Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to restrict domain user login time periods??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlyczko

Programmer
May 6, 2004
US
I would like to prevent domain users from logging in to the server during specific time periods (e.g. while defragging servers).

We have three Citrix servers in a farm, one PDC/Exchange/file/print server, one SQL server.

I assume any such restriction would occur when the domain users try to login via the Citrix servers (the only place they can log in).

I would also like to put up a response to this effect: "Server maintenance in effect. Please log in again after xxxx time. Thank you!"

How do I do this??

I looked for AD properties, but I can't set logon hours for groups like I can for individual users.

Thank you,
Tom

Sounds like you already know the answer there. You can only set that restriction on the user.

Another option for you though would be to simply stop the netlogon Service on the Citrix Server while doing your maintenance. That will prevent the logon of new sessions while you work on the servers and is more flexible in that it will allow logon again when you are done as soon as you restart the service.

Sorry no way to give the friendly message other than to send out an email advising of the down time in advance.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I found out later I can ctrl-click to select multiple domain users and then set their login hours restriction all at once.

Citrix already has a checkbox for preventing logins to chosen servers in the farm (lucky we only have three)...I think that's not the same as preventing domain user logins to the other non-Citrix servers...I will set up login hours for my own domain user account and see how it works etc. However, disconnecting users when their hours expire is a security setting etc., I may or may not need this...

Thank you,
:) Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back