Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to restrict calls based on ARS tables with a dial out pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamintdog

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US
Hey all - I am trying to restrict 4 specific extensions so they are only able to dial the following: 4 digit extensions, local, toll free and 911 calls.

Here is my setup: Merlin Legend v5r10 (I think) at the remote site. Local calls go out local copper trunks. We also have a TIE T1 connecting this system to our Avaya S8500 at the main site. All long distance and international calls traverse this TIE line and route out dedicated LD trunks at the main for cost savings. Also - most of our extensions are at the main as well, so 4 digit calls (to that location) must traverse the TIE line too. We have two Pools: 70 and 5. Pool 5 is what people use to call extensions at the main site. (so you have to dial a 5 to dial an extension at the main and you have to dial a 9 (or as I found out a 5,9**) to get outside.

Here is what I have done so far: I've managed to figure out how to restrict the 4 extensions in question to local and toll free only using ARS (I lowered the FRL value on each extension from 3 to 2) and that seemed to work... Now, from any of those phones USING A 9 TO DIAL OUT, if I dial any in/out of state LD or international call, I get a busy which is what I want.

Here is my problem**: I don't know much about pools and how they relate to ARS in the legend. If I dial 5 then 9 and any in/out of state or international number, it goes through - and I don't want this. How can I block these call types from being allowed through using pool code 5 without blocking 4 digit extension calls to the main? Can I sent a maximum of 4 digits for pool 5 on the 4 extensions I want restricted somehow? I thought that the legend would reference its ARS tables even if a pool code was entered and still restrict calls based on FRL?

Please let me know if you need any additional info to help me solve this issue. Thanks!

Well, going through the other switch kinda' puts a monkey wrench in the EASY STUFF.

So now we have to re-invent the wheel a bit.

DISALLOW LISTS can have 10 entries (Zero to Nine)

If you create a DISALLOW LIST for these guys that includes:

590, 5910, 5911, 5912, 5913, 5914, 5915, 5916, 5917 & 5919, then they would not be able to dial anything (When dialing out from the main switch) that includes area codes that start with a 2,3,4,5,6,7 or 9, nor would they be able to access International or ZERO PLUS Calls.

But of course, there are Area Codes that start with 8, other than toll free.

So, you would also want to create another DISALLOW LIST, blocking 59181, 59182, etc.... (But not 59180, 59186, 59187 or 59188.

Then, of course, you would have to assign these 4 extensions to both DISALLOW LISTS.

Gotcha Merlin. That makes sense. So obviously Legend calling priviledges are based on the following combination: Disallow lists, Allow lists, Call Restrictions, ARS tables... (did I miss anything?)

Is there a particular processing order that these are applied in for an outbound call (as in, will one override another)?

Thanks for your post. I'm going to try this out and see if it works. I'll let you know...

Lamint.

As far as the order, there's a table in the Manual that shows the order.

I would start with just setting up 1 entry in 1 table and test it with 1 extension to make sure, with that other switch involved, it works like we think it will.

Merlin - everything you suggested worked like a charm with one exception. Dialing international numbers using the pool dialout code of 5 allows the call to go through - which is what I don't want to have happen.

5,9011 int calls go out.
9,011 int calls do not go out.

All of the other disallowed entries that I put in per your suggestion above are working except for the 59011 calls. I verified that I did enter those digits correctly in the disallowed list - is there something else that could be causing it?

Well, let me ask this.

Do you want some people to dial International, or NO ONE?

I want everyone to be able to dial international except 4 specific extensions - which is why I was trying to limit calling ability for those specific extensions by disallowed lists/ars entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back