Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to restore the whole tape contents? Urgent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

colim98

MIS
Oct 2, 2001
IN
Hi all,
i need to restore 26GB of data from a tape but the status of the data is recyclable and it can not be restore using the networker recover GUI. Therefore, I wonder anyone can teach me some command to forcibly restore the whole data of a tape. Thanks in advance.

Hi Colim98
you will need to scan the tape in so that the index database has the details of what is on the tape , I forget the command but it is in the 'help' menu somewhere.
Be aware that a scan does take some time to complete - it is possible to filter out the files from clients that you do not wish to restore , sorry that I can't offer more info on the command , beer has disolved my brain cells over the years , if I remember I will re-post.

Regards

Renaults

Try scanner -i tapedevice
e.g. scanner -i \\.\Tape0
Note that the scanner command should be in the nsr/bin directory.
If you are using version 5, the recovered information is permanent, if you are using version 6, it will recycle as normal.

If you want to recover all the savesets for a particular client on the tape, or a particular saveset on the tape,you could run scanner with a command to extract the data directly off the tape, rather than scan the tape into the index and browsing.
scanner -c clientname devicename -x uasm -rv -m /usr=/mnt(-m example for relocating the directory)
scanner -S ssid devicename -x uasm -rv

Here are the two commands for scanning the data in if you are using a jukebox on NT:

nsrjb -lnv -f \\.\Tape0 {Tape Label} --- Loads the tape into the first drive

scanner -iv \\.\Tape0 --- scans the data in.

I have not found any speed improvements in selecting just part of the data from the tape as opposed to all of it. It may just be my experience, though. Be advised that the index entries you scan in will not be removed automatically except in Networker 6.1 so you will have to manually expire them.

If the tape still exists in the media database (which it should if it's only recyclable) you can just do a save set recover. Find the save set id (ssid) that you want to recover:

From the backup server:

mminfo -s <servername> -c <clientname> -q &quot;volume=<volumename>&quot; -v -ot

When you want to recover, from the client, type: recover -s <servername> -S <saveset id>

Good Luck!

-ag100

If life were that simple. ;-) That won't work on Netware recoveries for sure. I really wish Legato would put more resources toward Netware and fix the poor client they make us use now.

NetWare support has always been poor. The poster in this case isn't referring to NetWare, is he?

Thanks all.
After tried with the &quot; scanner -i -S ssid /dev/rmt/0cbn(tape device)&quot; command, the save set status change to &quot;scanned in&quot;.
The next step will have to recover the save set, so I wonder the same scanner command given by fordtruck can be used for my NT client, I supposed it should run on my Unix Networker Server.
&quot; scanner -c clientname devicename x uasm -rv -m /usr=/mnt &quot;

Is there any problem to substitute the /usr to \esm\a and the /mnt to \temp?

By the way, I am a new comer here and nice to meet all you.

Hi all,
How to convert the below command to NT version?? I have problem to substitute my devicename which is /dev/rmt/0cbn.

scanner -c clientname devicename x uasm -rv -m /usr=/mnt

wow a lot of work from all the other suggestions all i do is:

from command line type nwrecover
then: click on tree
then: expand 1 level
then: click on f/s to recover
then: click green lite to short
then: click ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor