Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to restore non BE format tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

crutch006

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2004
GB
Hi
I have a HPsure store DAT40 tape drive 4mm. WinXP
The current solution i use is backup exec 9.0 which operates fine with my 20gb tapes

The problem i have is that i need to restore some really old tapes that were created using Adaptec Backup of which i cannot find the software to do so. I have tried to restore this using backup exec as i was informed may be possible, but am recieveing unknown format errors.
The old tapes are 8gb 4mm ones. I have also tried using Novastore tape copy in an attempt to change the destination format again to no avail. Is anyone aware of
1) A location of the archaic Adaptec Backup Software (no longer supported by themselves.. or
2) A generic tape reading software that i may be able to retreive the data with

any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

Crutch

Backup Exec will read some arcserve and Microsoft tape format tapes only. So first u need to find the format. Also, the drive/device must be the same your restoring from or compatible.

Does the novasoft tell you the current format of the tape?

Adaptec Backup is only shipped with the full version of Adaptec EZ-SCSI, according to a website I saw...

I found this on Ebay, not sure if the product will load on XP, but you could always throw a drive into your system, load 95 on it, restore your data, and then burn it to cd or use your xp drive to copy the data.

There are others, just search for ez-scsi or ez scsi

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

thanks for the posts guys!

Steveot--
The novastore software was a no go really. didn;t recognise the format as anything. would create an uncompressed file locally on pc but this was then unreadable??

Mattjurado---
ive already tried that software bundle, the software was supplied separate and not part of a bundle... i 'll kepp searching but thanks anyway you guys!!

Crutch

-further update-

I have managed to locate HP Colorado Backup II from a HP
ftp site as i have been informed this software may recognise the tape format. However, I'am having problems with this software detecting my SCSI tape drive as it was originally designed for win3.1/95 and i'm using XP

Any body had any experience with this?

cheers

Wonder if you could throw Virtual PC or VMware on you XP box and load a scsi device and install Win9x into the virtual session? Is the tape device a parallel port tape device?

So look at my post again. Throw in a spare drive, disconnect the one with xp. Load 95 restore the data, and then copy the data off the drive.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back