Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to restore exchange only from pst and edb file

Status
Not open for further replies.

zooo79

Technical User
Apr 22, 2002
SI
i have lost everything
i have only pub1.stm pub1.edb priv1.stm priv.edb
can i restore mailboxes and public folders from this
thank you

Hi,

if you have those files, probably you can repair some information.
First of all you should backup them to another directory, so you can mess with the original ones.
You do not describe the problem in detail and it is dificult to help you this way.
Anyway, you should look for errors on eventviewer and search Microsoft Knowladge Base, you can find a lot information from there.

The last resorce is runing eseutil /p on pub1.edb to repair the database, but you will lose all information that was not commited from logs.

Good luck !!!

Miguel

If you still have those files (intact and un-corrupted) maybe all you lost was your server? If this is the case you have a few options, Mseverino was right.. start hittin up those KB articles. 01110000

Did you lose active directory?

If not bring up a server with the same name
setup /disasterrecovery
place in the database files
your back up and running
this is if the databases are consistent

from the errors you can tell what you will need to do at this point Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I have a smiliar problem, I have lost AD, and reinstalled the server, I have the original exchange files. pub1.edb, priv1.edb etc. but can I get the mailboxes out of these files and into a new exchange installation ? or do I have to make a new 2000 server with the original name, and then recover the mail-boxes ?

I have tried to mount the old store in the new exchange installation, but it failed with inconsistent db. I usually work in Lotus Notes mail system, where restores are not that comlicated, hence my naivitet regarding exchange.

"inconsistent db"

You will need to work on this. Last option being an eseutil /p then isinteg and then exmerge. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I have a similar problem. I'm working on a server that was running NT 4.0 Server with exchange 5.5, but it was formatted with only the public and private edb files being backed up. The server was then upgraded to Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000. Is there any way I can get exchange to mount the old store so that I can get to the data? Thanks.

Well, I allowed the new setup to be replaced by a restore, and moved my old priv and pub files into the new setup. and now I'm able to mount it.

But now I can't reconnect the mail box to a new user, I've tried exmerger util, but it compailns about permission erros. The mailbox was created under a different server name, but still. any ideas ?

Well I made it work :eek:)

I allowed the new storage to be overwritten by a restore, moved my old pub and priv files into the store, mounted it, ran the clean up agent and was finaly allowed to reconnet the mail boxes to the users, luckily this was only a test installation :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back