Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to restore Exchange Database Restore Without Transaction Log Files? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2015
DE
Hypothetical:
If I have a copy of the .edb file from a 2003/7/10 email server that has only one mailbox store and I have the system state backup, but I don't have any transaction log files, will I still be able to restore a working copy of the mailbox?
My understanding is that it will be a working mailbox store, but it won't have any of the changes made to the database that are still in transaction log files.

Some simple steps to overcome exchange database issue, good luck...

1. Start the repair
- Run Eseutil in /P (repair) mode.
The easiest way to do this is to have both database files (.EDB and .STM) in the same directory (which they usually are). If they're in different places, you're going to have to point to the files on the command line.
- Eseutil is located in the \exchsrvr\bin directory
Example: eseutil /p c:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\db1.edb /sd:\exchsrvr\mdbdata\db1.stm/te:\temp.edb
This command line will repair DB1.EDB located on C: along with its matching .STM file located on D: and will put the temporary file on the E: drive.
- If your streaming database file (.STM) is not matched to the database file (.EDB) or it has a problem that is blocking repair, you can add the /i switch to the repair command line.
The /i option ignores the signature mismatch error in the check phase.
The database and streaming file will receive new signatures in the repair phase.
- Repair can take a while--hours. When it finishes, it will leave you with a very detailed log file of what it did called .integ.raw.
2. Not quit finished yet, there are two more steps to complete.
3. Defrag the exchange database
- Run Eseutil in /D (defragment) mode.
Repair may leave index and space allocation problems in the database.
- Along with compacting the physical size of the file, defragmentation rebuilds the indexes and space trees.
To defragment the database, you need space equivalent to 110% the size of the database.
- As with repair, you can redirect the temporary file to a different drive if necessary, but this will take considerably longer.
4. Clear Transaction Log
- Your database is now restored, you need to move/backup all the transaction logs for your database otherwise it won't mount or run the integrity check.
5. Use third party software in case all these actions appeared uneffective and your exchange database is still corrupted Recovery Toolbox for Exchange Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back