Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Restore AD to Another Server 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxod

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2001
CA
I want to reinstall a Windows 2000 server from a backup to another server of different hardware.

I have the following:

1) Complete backup of old server (incl. System State)
2) New Server with adeqaute hard drive space

What do I need top do to restore my server to the new server?

I would do just reinstall WIndows 2000 Server to the new computer and then restore the system state to this new server and it should be okay?

Thanks.

You might run into problems since the hardware is not the same; especially if we are talking about different motherboard chipsets.

Why not install W2K on the new machine, convert it to a domain controller, and transfer the FSMO roles to it? Any data from the old server can either be copied over or restored from backup to the new server.

Okay...we have installed Win 2k Server and Backup Exec to the new server. We then restored the AD by restoring System State to this new server and made it an authouritative restore.

When we restart we get an inaccessible boot device.

So what you're saying is that we should install Win2k and make it a domain controller and then restore the AD from the backup of the old server?

Thx

Max - I made an assumption that you were trying to move AD to another computer. Is that the case or are you really trying to restore an older copy of AD (ie some changes were made that you want undone)?

If you want this to be your new domain controller, just install W2K, join it to the domain, run dcpromo.exe to promote to DC, and optionally transfer all the FSMO roles to it. If you want to remove the old server, run dcpromo on it to demote and remove it from the network.

System state backups all your device drivers too, that is why you're getting the inaccessible boot device error. You could try to fix the problem by booting into Recovery Console, and making sure the boot.ini is correct, and manually installing the correct device driver for the new boot device.

If you need to recover to the old AD, why not just recover on the old server? If you are concerned about backup, install AD on the new computer as a backup, remove it from the network, if the restore fails on the old server, you can bring the new system back onto the network.

Wallst32,

You are right. I am trying to move AD to another computer. I will play around with the boot.ini file.

Thanks.

I think your making this REALLY more complicated than it needs to be. Like Walls said before.

"If you want this to be your new domain controller, just install W2K, join it to the domain, run dcpromo.exe to promote to DC, and optionally transfer all the FSMO roles to it. If you want to remove the old server, run dcpromo on it to demote and remove it from the network."

You can be done with this in about an hour, after W2K server installation is done on the new server, and save yourself a TON of headaches!!!!

Okay...this is what I am trying to do. We only have one server. I need to reconfigure this server with new hard drives and a RAID array. The existing HD config is softtware RAID 1. I will be adding a RAID card and new hard drives and configuring them to RAID 5.

So what I am doing is reconfiguring the only server that I have and then need to restore the AD and all data to this server from a backup.

I need to know if the extra hardware that I added will be too much of a change to the server that the backup restore fail.

I have a test server setup in a RAID 5 config that I am using that is different from the existing server (different cpu/mobo/RAM/chipset). I am trying to restore to this test server without success.

So there is no way to transfer AD over to a "new" server without first setting up another server to take over the domain controller role?

Thanks.

maxod,

If you want this to be as smooth as possible, please follow Wallst32's advice in his second post. It will save you frustrations later on down the road.

The only reasons for doing a restore are, 1) if your only DC died and you need to recover, 2) if there are AD changes that you need to 'undo', and 3) if you just want to play around with the restore function and options.

There is a better way of doing what you're trying to do - follow Wallst32's advice...

Good Luck!

Tim Cambridge
A+, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE (W2K)

Thanks people. We will do that.

Thank you.

What you gonna do is to reinstall win2k server/backupexec but before you run your back up and then do full restore. You examine boot.ini and all the config files that you will be needing because your server will not boot up. Boot device/drivers are pointing to your old scsi controller and not to your RAID (array controller) card.. You'll need the driver of the RAID card.

As wallst32 stated:

"You could try to fix the problem by booting into Recovery Console, and making sure the boot.ini is correct, and manually installing the correct device driver for the new boot device".

What if I used my Emergency Repair Disk? Will that fix the booting problem? ie: install Win2k and create ERD. Then restore System State. Server will not boot but then I go into repair mode and use the ERD.

Why did MS make it so hard!!!

All I want to do is add a RAID card and a thrid drive and configure it as RAID 5 to the existing server and then restore the server from a backup hoping to do it without manually redoing AD. What if I don't have an extra server? Then does one have to redo the existing server from scratch once they add in a piece of hardware such as a RAID card?

MS didn't make it hard. They just can't meet everyone's need. All you need is a computer that will run w2k server. DCPROMO it, then copy the 5 wonderful roles to it, then DCPROMO your original server. Now your original AD server is just a plain ol member server. WIPE that original one clean, get it running however you want. Then DCPROMO it, and transfer the 5 wonderful roles back to it. If you want you can leave the temporary Domain controller up or you can DCPROMO and take it off the network!

as your situation sounds, speedracercjr's path is a good one. i just wanted to add that a desktop machine will work just fine for the temp DC.

Have you tried using sysprep, then ghosting to the new hardware?

I will try wallst32 and speeds' suggestion. That's the best way I guess to go.

Thank you.

1. Since you r in that situation I'll suggest my idea but I never tried it really. Before you do a full backup. Install your RAID card and the drivers. You can also configure now your RAID 5. And see if OS can regocnize your logical drive. Create a ERD and do a full backup.

2. Install your OS and restore and reboot. Unsuccessful BOOT UP, do a repair using your ERD.

If it works, can u post it for other people benefit. IF not then do Wallst32 suggestion, tedious but it will do the job.

Guys, you cannot restore just System State on a computer and then to expect that system to work. Why? Because System State measn registry too. Registry means everything about your hardware too, disk signatures, etc.

So, you need same old machine. Instal the new one, promote it as DC in the same domain, then demote the old one.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

rip...I tried that as well. Restore from ERD to see if it will boot or not. Did not work.

Okay...I can restore AD as sugggested by wallst32 (Thanks!). How do I restore my shares?

Now I have a reconfigured server and restored my data folders. I have also restored AD as suggested by wallst32. Is there an easy way to restore my shares?

I was thinking that AD would contain my shares but it was not the case I guess becuase of the change in SID when I reinstalled the server.

Maxod,

Assuming you have your files on the same drives as the original server, you can export the following registry key from the old server:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares

This will export all of the shares you created on the original server (not the default admin shares that Windows creates). Your share and NTFS permissions will be included as well so you don't have to grant access again to those users.

Import the registry file into the new server and restart the server service.

Good Luck!

Tim
Certified AND Qualified
[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back