Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to restore a captured text file on cisco 2600 series routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctechnician

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
I made some configs on the cisco 2621, and the 2620. used the capture text mode and i saved the configs as a text file. how do i put the text file back on the router so it was when i configured it.

A+,Net+

You can:

copy run tftp:filename.cfg //keep your running-config

then, after you edit the filename.cfg

copy tftp:filename.cfg run //write back

Simon Yu
CCNP

en
conf t
<paste>

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

HI

Use iproute's method, if you have save the config by capturing a text file from a show run output.

One or two issues. When you do a show run it lists shutdown interfaces by putting 'shutdown' in the text. If the interface is up there is not a 'no shutdown' entry, so you will need to add this manually.

That is, if the text file has a bit that blooks like this:
!
interface ethernet 0
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.0.0.0
!

You will need to edit it (using notepad only) to be:

!
interface ethernet 0
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.0.0.0
no shutdown
!

Then when you load the config back in the ethernet interface will come back up. Obviously you will neeed to edit each interface entry that you need running in the ame way.

Also compare the saved file with the show run as it appears on the console. There is no flow control on the interface, and is is possible for parts of long configs to get lost during the transfer. This is particularly true when you c&p the file back in to the router. Set your hyperterminal up with a line delay of 200 milliseconds (in the ASCII setup of the hyperterminal). This delay between lines does slow the transfer, but it gives time for each line to be added without any of it getting lost.

Then do :

en
conf t
<paste to host>

and your config will be restored.

Be aware that if you move the config from one router to another of the same type the c&p you do may overwrite some, not necessarily all, of any existing config. Do a write erase and reload before putting it in.

EB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back