Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO RESTART AN ATX BOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

clivo

Vendor
May 19, 2000
ZA
Visit site
Any ideas on how to restart an ATX box, unattended, after a power failure?

Clive
clive@digitalsky.co.za

Not quite sure what you mean...unattended. Remotely?

Let me be more precise. Power goes out on a dialup server server in the middle of the night, UPS holds for 40 minutes. After 40 the box dies. 2 hours later power is restored but it is still middle of the night, and all we need is for the box to boot by itself.
So I guess I mean totally unattended in the manner that an AT box would simply boot cause the switch is still "on".

Clive
clive@digitalsky.co.za

If you have the WOL (Wake on LAN) setting turned on in your BIOS, you should be able to ping the card and the system will power on. I believe that there is also a Wake on Ring setting for modems that you might be able to use if the feature is enabled. Other than that, I am not sure of other options besides actually pushing the button.

Check your BIOS settings after you get it back up and running. There should be a Power Management setting that deals with power failures - either stay off or reboot.

Hope this helps.

Check to see if your BIOS has a setting where you can tell the system what to when it reboots. I've got my pc set up at home to power on when it reboots. Since my pc is on the floor, it's a nice feature to have.
Sorry I don't have the exact wording.

- Gerry
(soon)

Check power management in the BIOS it might have the option to restart after power outage.
I know mine has the option (asus board).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back