Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reset windows media player setings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanPopescu

Technical User
Dec 25, 2004
CA
I have a very akward problem
I have a laptop and a desktop pc
both of them are conected to internet through a router
laptop wireless, pc through cable
I am a subscriber to a website that brodcast live italian tv
in order to see that i am going to this web page i am inserting the user name and password and a windows pops up with embeded windows media player. i select a channel from the list and i start watching (live stream)
I want to underline that i don't need any other software to watch this channels
From my laptop i can do this with any problem
but from my desktop i can not longer
when the windows with channels appears another windows pops up that asks me for the network pasword and user name
(this is happening only on my desktop)
i spoke with the support guys and they don't have a clue
I connected the dosktop directly to internet and nothing, i have unninstal and disabled any firewall and antivirus and nothing
i have restored the original files from the win xp cd (sfc /scannow)
and still i can not watch on my desktop
only from this website
the other ones are working well
so I am thinking if I am reseting wmp settings to the default or something similar i can watch
Also i have removed Internet explorer 7 I have 6 and still the same, i have removed cookies etc

Somebody has any ideea?
Thank you

i am inserting the user name and password and a windows pops up with embeded windows media player."

"another windows pops up that asks me for the network pasword and user name"

Do all 3 machines get to the first sign in page? Is it only the Desktop that then asks for a second login?

Is the WMP in the Desktop trying to connect to this site under its own steam and being recognized as a new or different connection? What if you use a firewall to stop the WMP (wmplayer.exe) from connecting, does that generate a different error message? If you look at the options under tools in WMP for Privacy, Security or Networking, is there anything there that is different from the settings on the working machines?

Maybe the fault is with the actual website?

Second login required to access Videos on FP2003 built Site

MS Windows Media Pay-Per-View Solution

I haven't mentioned
the second window pops up only when you allready watch the channels (the tech guys told me)
but in my case anytime when I try to log in from my desktop I allready have closed any connection to this web site on other computers before and the windows still appears.
And nobody else knows my user name and paswword because the tech guys from this web site changed it after I have told them about what is happening to me

If would be the fault of the website I couldn't log in and see anything from my laptop. Of course I am loging out on my desktop when I watch on my laptop
I am asking all of these because I don't want to reinstall windows xp
Maybe it is a Java problem?
Thanks Linney

When you deleted "Cookies etc." did that include stored passwords and form data?

There is a "Manage Passwords" section obtained via typing Control Userpasswords2 in the Start Run box. In the resulting window you will get to it via the Advanced tab.

See if there is anything mentioned in "Manage Passwords"?
Have you any of this Website passwords stored in that area.
If not you could put them in there, or make sure anything in there is correct.

306541 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP

Behavior of stored user names and passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back