Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to reset password on Ascend grf 1600

Status
Not open for further replies.

letanhien

Technical User
Oct 26, 2002
US
My company just bought a refurnish a Ascend GRF 1600 switch and I couldn't reset the User/password back to default state. I tried the "root/Ascend" as user/password basing from lucent manual but it didn't work. I could appreciates very much if any one can show me another way to reset the user/password.

Thank you,
mike

Two methods:
Interrupt boot sequence, and type /bsd at boot prompt. Then select rd0a from the next menu. Then you will get a root prompt, mount wd0a (flash) and change etc.A_xxxxxx directyory name to sth, unmount and exit. You will get the default config with root password Ascend change password, mount wd0a again rename directory to original name, and unmount, do a grwrite -v. I do not know if there is an official solution but this works.

Or you could try...

1) First, you must be attached to the GRF via the console port. It is not possible to telnet into the unit to recover the root password.

2) Then boot the unit in single mode. During the boot sequence you will see

the following line:
pci0 at root: configuration mechanism 1

Start hitting control-c at this point. Messages will being scrolling by very rapidly until a line appears that asks which shell you would like.

Hit return.

3) Mount the internal flash drive.
#mount -w /dev/wd0a /flash

4) Change the master.passwd file in the flash directory
#cd /flash
#cd /etc.A_X_X_X,default (Where A_X_X_X is your current sw version)
#vi master.passwd
the following line will appear:
root:Jf83vkLw3.w9:0:0::0:0:System Administrator:/root:/bin/ksh
^^^^^^^^^^^^remove this
The line below shows what you want it to look like:
root::0:0::0:0:System Administrator:/root:/bin/ksh

5) Update the database so the change is accepted.
#pwd_mkdb -d master.passwd

6) Unmount the flash drive
#umount /flash

7) #reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back