Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to replicate Progress 9.1c database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron11

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2002
US
I'd like to replicate, or even better replicate and reorganize our a database to facilitate reporting.

How can the database be copied to another machine where reports could be run? Can this be done incrementally so that all data does not need to be copied each time?

How can the fields of one database be copied to another to facilitate reporting?

Any help or suggestions would be MUCH appericated!

Why would you need to do this? You can use any number of built in Progress tools to copy a database, but you will need Progress running on both computers. I have to ask again why do this? Progress is an enterprise level database reporting should not dramatically effect perfomance. If you explain your reasoning I might be able to give you an alternate solution.

I'm relatively new to Progress, so there's a good chance there might be a better way of accomplishing what I'm trying to do.

The database is used for a warehouse management system and due to the way the it's organized, some reports become very resource intensive. One particular report that's become quite popular with our clients can take upwards of 30hrs to complete and noticiably affects the normal operations of the WMS software. It would seem that replicating the data in a different form would facilitate extracting the information I want. Our vendor charges a lot for database customizations and having them modify it would become quite costly. They also don't want any else modifying the DB's their software uses. Creating another database on the same machine would be fine too as long as it performs well and that I can be sure a mistake on my part won't affect the WMS database.

The reason I was wanting to try it on a different machine is mostly for safety. If you have any suggests or can point me in a better direction, I'd be grateful. Again, I'm new to Progress and want to learn as much about it as I can. Thanks.

30hrs is a long time for any report. Usually when I see problems like this there is an underlying cause. Like not joining tables with all the right fields, or joining with non-indexed fields while sorting or comparing long text strings.

Couple of questions: What version of Progress? How big is your database? Have you ever purged it or done other routine maintanence? What is your reporting software? If it's not Progress Report Builder then how does it access the database, ODBC? If ODBC what driver? Are you running database on a unix or windows platform? What are the server hardware specs?

Progress like any large app server can be tweaked for performance. Once you tell me you database version I can point you in the right direction for tweaks.

You can email me at peter.paasch@aceprecision.com. I code even take a look at your report depending on what it is written in.

I agree with franklin1232, 30 hours is a long time.

You may want to look into generating the reports using 4GL. We have a 3rd party application for viewing data. It seemed to take a long time to gather the data so I tried extracting the same information through a 4GL program. I am not sure what the problem is, but my application is about 5 times faster.

I would also be interested in how to do a replication for the following reasons>
Our Progress DB is used by an Application (MySOft) that has application level security, so if I assign db level security the MySoft app will stop working.

If I open the DB up using ODBC without any db security I have some sensitive data that I do not want anyone with the ODBC driver to get at.

So I am thinking of replacating some/most of the data and using that replicated data as a ad-hoc reporting db.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Bernie

Bernie you shouldn't have to replicate to acomplish what you want. Our database use application level security and ODBC security. You can create an ODBC user and assign that user a password. If MySOft uses tables to store user params and metadata to check connections it should work fine. One catch is that I don't think ODBC security was implemented until the SQL92 driver in version 9.1
Check the link below.

Hello - too late to ask a question here? We're interested duplicating the database as well so that we can build and later refresh a test database. We would also like load the software on a laptop. The app using Progress has a tool which extracts from current to temp, appends from temp to new environment so as you can imagine, this takes forever. I'm a consultant on the project, new to Progress as well as the app. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back