Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Repeat Group Header with Muli Column Formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwooten

Technical User
Jul 14, 2005
US
How can I Repeat Group Header with Muli Column Formatting?

Up through version 10 I have found you cannot repeat the group header when doing multi column formatting on the details section. Does anyone know if this is possible in version XI?
Any ideas or info is greatly appreciated.

dwooten

You can do so in previous versions, I just tested in CR 9, right click the group section and select section expert->Change Group->select the Options tab and turn on the repeat group header on each page.

Of course repeat group header might mean something else for you as you didn't state where or when to repeat them.

-k

Thanks Synapsevampire.
I'm familiar with the Repeat Group Header Option. However, I find that when I turn this option on with reports that have been formatted with crystal's multi column formatting capability (whetehr I've chosen Across then Down or Down then Across as the multi column output) the group header doesn't repeat on the next column even with the option turned on. This is the behavior I've noticed up through version 10. I'm curious to know if it is possible in version XI to get the group header to repeat on successive columns when using multi column formatting?

Thank you,
dwooten

Ahhh, that's what I was afraid of, you wanted something other than it's intent.

It's intent is to repeat for each page, not column.

You might prepopulate the rows with column headers if that's what you need.

Or you could insert anotehr details section and use the group header in the first detail section and suppress it based on some criteria, but the requirement doesn't really make sense to me I guess.

-k

Thank you for you response Snynapsevampire.

Hi,

I have been following this thread discussion and have the same issue as dwooten.

Based on Synapsevampire's responses, I understand that the Repeat Group Header option is intended to repeat on new pages.

So my question then is: Does Crystal XI have a feature/functionality that will repeat the group header (which is where my column headings are) on new/successive columns when multi-column formatting is being used?

Inserting another details section and using the group header in the first detail section and suppressing it based on some criteria won't work because the criteria in this case is simply "Did a new column get created? and if so, then perform my action". As far as I know, Versions 10 and prior don't have any functions that allow for the testing of whether or not a new column was created when multi-column formatting has been implemented.

If the functionality is not built in with version XI, is it even possible to come up with formula logic that would be able to determine if a new/successive column was created?

thanks in advance for any ideas or definitive answers on this capability (or lack thereof in version XI).

mrudolph

You can create column headers by doing the following. First this assumes that you have your details section set to "format with multiple columns", down then across, and "format groups with multiple columns" is set. Make sure you have the group options set to "Repeat group header on each page". Run the report and note how many detail rows appear in each column. Let's say that the answer is 25.

Next, insert a second details section. Your detail fields should be in detail_a, and add a copy of your groupname into detail_b. Then create a running total {#cntwingrp} using the expert, where you count {table.groupfield}, evaluate for each record, reset on change of group.

Next go to the section expert, highlight detail_b->suppress->x+2 and enter:

remainder({#cntwingrp}, 49) <> 25

The formula is based on:
remainder({#cntwingrp}, 2*n-1) <> n

This assumes you have two columns per page.

-LB

Hi lbass,

Thanks for your reply. Your solution sounds like a good one for when the column output has a consistent # of records per column.

Unfortunately, in many of my cases, I have memo fields in the details section, so the # of detail sections/records will vary from one column to the next.

It sounds like BO has not incorporated any functionality to be able to routinely/easily repeat column/group headings on new columns in multi-column formatted reports. Something like a check box option or even a function that would allow for testing (like OnNewColumn). Guess this will have to be a wishlist item for now. :)

Thanks.

mrudolph

If you really want to do this, you could create a manual running total where you incremented based on the number of lines in one detail, which in turn would be based on the number of characters per line (before wrapping). This would require using a nonproportional font, however. You also would have to write a suppression formula that accounted for a final column row that, because of its length, would jump to the next column.

-LB

Thanks for your reply lbass. Unfortunately I can't constrain my reports to only use a non-proportional font and therefore I can't implement/use your last proposed solution. However, it still might be a good solution for others until BO adds a more robust type of functionality for this type of issue that won't require such laborious/creative solutions.

thanks again for the input and responses.

mrudolph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back