Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to repair system file errors with a Raid 1-0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteTornado

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
CA
Hi,

This server cannot boot, it has an Asus P4s533 mobo, 2 80Gb HDD connected to an Adaptec 1200A controler and Raid 1-0 is installed. Windows Small Business Server 2000 as the OS. I am getting the error message that the system needs to be repaired as the file \winnt\system32\config\SYSTEMced is corrupted.

However, when I atttempt to use the repair option, using the CD and having it locate my installation, it tells me if cannot find it. The proper Adatec driver was loaded with F6 on the CD bootup sequence.

I want to be able to repair this file and therefore fix the OS, it is using NTFS so I am not able to fix this file with my Linux CD.

I called Adaptec to see if they would have some leads for me and they didn't. I have not been to find tips on google as to how to go about fixing that.

I thought of taking of the disk out so as to deal with only one disk, maybe that way I couls fix this file on one disk and the rebuild process would fix the problem - I am not sure if I would damage the data while doing so.

One other point, If I plug in the disk straight to the IDE connector, would this damage the raid?

Any tips would be great!

Cheers!

How many drives you have in the array? If you only have two drives it would be raid 0 or raid 1, not both. If it is raid o+1 you would have to have 4 drives. If it is raid 1 you can connect one drive to the IDE, no problems at all will then work as a single no raid drive. Both drives have the same info. If it is raid 0 you can not do this as you would loose all files on both drives. Please advise your config. Regards Jurgen

Hi, Youre right, I was unclear - it is raid 1. In order to learn a few things, I put two different drives and recreated the same environment and did various tests to see how things behaved. I saw in effect that I could run with only one drive. But, unfortunately I never was able to fix the problem, I found a reference to this SYSTEMced error in relation to the registry that is corrupted, unfortunately the steps advised to repaid created an other situation preventing me from booting the OS - I finally re-installed the OS in an other directory so as not to loose everything.

Cheers!

Fine that you solved your problem. I use here 3 independant raid systems. One for boot etc. is a 4 drive raid 0 arrangement made for speed with SATA 150 drives. Another used for a complete backup is also 4 drives in raid 1 setup with ide 133 drives, if the first array failes I can boot from the other array. The third array is two drives in raid 1 ide 133, used for large files which I can not effort to loose. Greetings Jurgen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back