Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Rename or Remove Fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigfw

Technical User
Aug 11, 2004
US
Hey Everyone,

I have an application that I need to install and it hangs at 91% on C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\Tahoma.ttl (I would assume the other Tahoma Bold as well if it gets to it). I was told by the Software manufactuer\distributer to either: 1) Rename them or 2)Delete them. I'm sys admin and I'm still getting "permission denied" and "cannot delete tahoma: Access is denied" when I try and delete them. It also won't let me rename them.

Any solutions?
Thanks....

Well, first things first. You are going about removing the fonts in the correct manner. But, I will state, that I've seen some sites suggest that removing Tahoma is not a good idea as many windows applications use this font by default. Whether or not this holds true with XP, I couldn't verify.

Pretty much tells you to do what you've been doing. I'm still digging on this as the only file folder with permissions on it is the actual fonts folder.

You received bad advice.
And likely a bad installer.

Explain "bad advice":
Tahoma is protected by the Windows File Protection System, and renaming or deleting would simply kick in the protection system to replace the font.

Explain a "bad installer":
Tahoma is on of several "native" fonts under XP, fully protected (see above comment), and does not require installation.

A useful reference:

the file extension for fonts should be TTF not TTL. that may be your problem.

aquias,

The reason I did not link that article is that it is confusing.

XP has mappings between "screen", "true type", and other fonts that is not always evident by their names alone.

The article discusses native fonts in terms of their picklist screen appearance, not their underlying mapped physical files. There is, for True Type fonts, a lot more going on than the article fairly presents.

Thanks to everyone for your help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back