Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to remove Window 2000 on the screen every time when I boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

newlearner2005

Programmer
May 9, 2005
US
Hello everybody,

My computer operating system was window 2000.
I wanted window XP. So I have installed window XP professional from Microsoft CD software. I was asked for formatting the hard drive. I formatted it, then continued to install window XP.
Everything was fine. Now my computer running window XP very well.
But this is a minor that I do not want it to appear at the beginning everytime when I boot up the computer.

Why it always showed two lines at the beginning on the black screen:
Window XP professional
Window 2000
And it high light Window XP and count down as default ( or I press Enter to get in )
My question is: Could I remove the line window 2000 ? If so, how to do that?

Thank you for your help.
newlearner

This is your boot.ini file that is doing that I bet. It sounds like you didnt do a complete format/reinstall because this would have gotten rid of it.

What happens when you highlight Windows 2000 and hit enter? Does it boot up into your 2000 system?

If it doesnt boot to the 2000 and you want it off the startup do this:

Right click "My Computer" go to Properties.
Click the Advanced Tab, then click the Startup and Recovery Settings button.
Uncheck the "Time to display operating systems" box, then hit OK all the way out.
Reboot and see if it's gone.

Try this.

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

You can also look at the alternative command by typing bootcfg /? at a CMD Prompt.

The boot.ini file is a read only, system and hidden file which requires Hidden and System files to be made visible via Folder Options/ View.

Or just hit the "Edit" button on the screen I mentioned.

Unchecking the box will leave the boot.ini file intact in case you ever need to go back to it, but it will default to Windows XP when you boot up.

Thank you both very much.

Thank you for your help, Captaincrunch00. That solve the problem. ( I chose completed format )

newlearner 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back